Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

compadre

sling

i am considering to buy a compadre as a gift and i would like to know what depth can he reach for an inch dia target???

My wife uses the Compadre and it gets a quarter about 8" thats with the 7" coil, don't know about the 5.75 they come with now. If you could spring the $250 move up to the Silver uMax it will get a quarter at 10-12 inches depending on the ground.

The depth that your friend can achieve with a metal detector depends on the soil conditions he is hunting in.

The Compadre is not a deep seeking machine. Although it is an excellent metal detector for what it does.

For some more money you can get a Silver uMax which will get at least 1" more of depth. Even more on some targets.

If your friend has moderate soil conditions he should get at least 5" on a penny , nickle and dime. Probably 6' on a quarter.

If that sounds shallow, you have to realize that there are a lot of false clams going on around out there.

For instance people are always claiming 12" or 10" with an Ace. That's just not going to happen. Not many machines can go that deep.

As a matter of fact most reliable test put the Ace just past the Compader. Not by inches.

If you get an inch more than a Compadre, you're where most metal detectors are in depth.

So I would say that the Compadre gets about 1" less depth than most mid rand priced metal detectors.

That's is just an estimate that I have come up with having tested a Compadre in my test garden. I have also tested 7 other makes of detectors in the same test garden. The test garden is 6 months old.

Hope that is helpful and accurate,

That sounds about right.
Most people making claims about astounding depth forget to mention the kind of ground they are metal detecting in and the size of the coil.
Remember, the depth is also in proportion to the coil size + ground condition. If you have a five inch coil your going to get five inches of depth + more depending on the soil and HOW LARGE the target is. My 6x9 standard Ace 250 coil will get 6inches + the other factors just mentioned.
My MXT 9.5 coil is capable of just that: 9 1/2 inches if there is a target that deep for it to zero in on. If there is excessive ground mineralization the target may be missed! The only other metal detector that may get better depth is the x-70 because it uses a different technology. The MineLab is in a class by itself.

Regards
Robert

Thanks for clearing that up.:)

I didn't mention the size of the coil. That has a lot to do with it.

By the way, the Compadre comes with a hard wired 5.75" coil that cannot be swaped with other coils.

If you find a little older Compadre it may have a 7" hard wired coil. Both coils are reported to have the same depth.

HH,

I should also mention that if you boost your sensitivity up that too will ad some depth but could cause yuo some false signals too. Just depends on the ground yu MDing in.
Robert R

IMO I would slap down the little extra and go for the Silver uMax. Coils can be added as the need arises.
Besides - the Silver comes with an extra knob and toggle switch (looks more kool :blink:) - little more versatile.
The Silver is 10.6 kHz and has two modes (silent search all metal & silent search discriminate)
The Compadre is 12 kHz, and one mode (silent search discriminate)

Silver uMax and add the 575 afterwards makes an affordable, effective, light weight little package. I always use headphone's.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Compadre, just between the two I would go for the Silver - well actually I did get the Silver and it's a fun machine to use. I also have the Cibola, Tejon, Cortes, and a few other makes, and the Silver gets it's share of use.

Is the gift for your son or daughter (a kid)? I've not yet
used the Teosro MD yet but if your set on the Tesoro, spend a few dollars more and get the Silver uMax. From
the raving reviews this sounds like they would enjoy the MD hobby more.
Best of luck.
Regards
Robert R

The photo is of some of the finds made by my hunting buddy Jim at a stagestop and inn site with a Compadre. That site had a huge two story Inn, a trading post, blacksmith shop and a couple of house and it has the most iron in the ground of any place I've hunted. What was left of the old buildings were burned and the iron and ashes were plowed over, that resulted in all the large iron from blacksmith shop and other buildings, plus the old square nails from the buildings being scattered over the entire site. So much iron that every swing produced multiple iron hits, and pretty much rendered most of the detectors we tried there useless. I ordered the Compadre with 7 inch coil for Jim's young son but Jim wanted to try it out first. I took him to the stagestop and the first decent signal he got was the 1831 dime. The next trip he got a 1776 half reale, that was about 6 years ago and his son hasn't got to use the Compadre yet:). We hunted that site numerous times using Fisher CZ's, 1266's, Shadow X2's and X5's, Minelab Sovereigns, several Garrett models, a Compass Coinscanner Pro, two different Newforce/C-Scope models, a couple of Whites and several Tesoro models ranging from the old style Bandido II through the Tejon and the most effective VLF detectors we used there were the Compadre and Gold Mountain GMT 1650. As you can see in the photo, we dug a lot of junk with those two but also at least 80 percent of the good targets found there.

<center>[attachment 78750 jimsfinds.jpg]</center>

Thanks JB,

It's hard to tell someone how good a metal detector the Compadre is.

Depht on a quarter isn't everything.

It's a hard thing to explain so most people are happier with the Silver. Which is an excellent choice by the way.

HH,

with the small coil don't expect great depth, but as JB has pointed out there are moments when depth isn't everything. Who will be using the detector?
Pap

With what I already have, does all this mean I need to get a Compadre also?
If yes - that's all the answer i need. Don't worry, I won't tell the wife - Honest !!! :poke:

You're right Tabdog, but I think I should clarify what I said about the Compadre being great in iron. It is, but that doesn't mean it will give a solid, clean signal on a coin with a piece of iron in the same hole. When hunting sites like the one I posted about, a detector that will average a ferrous object and a nonferrous object and give a signal in the nonferrous discrimnation range is needed. In other words, a detector that will average a rusty square nail and a V nickel that's in the same hole and give a foil range signal instead of having the nail dominate and produce an iron signal. Very few of the coins and relics we dug at that site, and other sites, gave signals in the conductive range they would normally fall in if no iron was close enough to affect the detector. The Compadre does well at averaging mixed ferrous and nonferrous targets, better than any vlf detector I've used except the GMT 1650 I mentioned.

Most people don't understand that over coming masking is not a silver bullet.

It takes skill. That's why the Compadre is mis-understood and a less experienced person may not be able to appreciate the qualities of the Compadre.

That's why I said that the Silver may be a better starter machine.

HH,

Ha Tab nabit,

You already have the subject covered with your Tejon and probably something els:shrug:

But the Compadre is a neet little low cost machine that can keep up with or out perform other machines in the right environment.

I doubt that the Compadre will do anything that the Tejon and some others won't do and they have better depth.

Compadre is just a neet little machine.

HH,

I think JB is right on this one about the Compadre doing better than most Tesoros and most other detectors out on the market whether old or new in iron. After doing extensive research in what detectors do better in nails, the Compadre was mentioned by JB, Monte and some others that no longer post on the forums. In turn I bought the Compadre and some other detectors that were supposed to be good in iron. Some friends that I regularly email have a variety of detectors that I don't and I had them try a series of some nails/coins tests that I came up with to see how units would respond to them. My conclusion is the same as theirs and that is it is hard to beat in nails. I do wish it had an all-metal pinpoint but for the price, it is hard not to like it, heck, some coils cost as much or more than it. The Compadre has the 180 disc that some of the other Tesoros don't, it has very fast response, recovery, along with limited depth not to see all that deeper stuff makes it good in nails. When you get in very iron trashy areas, depth has to be sacrificed to a certain extent anyway. Wonder where Ralph is now? If he were still posting, he'd be in on this one.

so as i read it the compadre has the ED 180 disc and the silverumax doesnt.
you mean the compadre has better disc????
well i think for a gift and to start to detect the compadre will be enough.
according to the tesoro the 575 as deep as the 7".
my friend havent got lot of time and he will go to places where is people lived before and he will find something certainly.
There is no time just to take a chance at the middle of nowhere on the field.And where is a previosly populated area there is ironjunks so the 575 will be ok.
Maybe the silver is little deeper but to see he likes this hobby or not unecesary to buy deeper machine.
And if the silver has worse iron rejection and he will dig too much he might wont like the swinging.Am i right?

The smaller 5.75 coil on the Compadre allows for better separation of targets.This will allow a hunter to search closer to walls steps and trees.There's a lot of shallow coins left because of the masking effect of near by junk.This little Tesoro is a great unit I wouldn't spend another hundred dollars on a Silver.

[quote sling]so as i read it the compadre has the ED 180 disc and the silverumax doesnt.[/quote][size=medium]That is correct. But there's more to it than simply the range of acceptance between some of these models.[/size]

[quote sling]you mean the compadre has better disc????[/quote][size=medium]Yes, it does. The Compadre, due to the broad-range ED-180 adjustment can be set to just reject an iron nail or some other trash better than most current Tesoro's or their competition. One advantage is the Compadre's circuitry which doesn't use some of thje more recent low-noise/high-gain design and, as a result, the Compadre isn't as sputtery or noisy. It is very smooth and 'clean' sounding.[/size]

[quote sling]well i think for a gift and to start to detect the compadre will be enough.
according to the tesoro the 575 as deep as the 7".[/quote][size=medium]I enjoyed all models when I used the 7" concentric coil, to include the early Compadre's with a fixed 7" coil. But I have to admit that I actually prefer the current versions with the hard-wired 5

Thanks Monte, we don't get much info on the Compader. I'm just learning that I really like to use the little booger.

HH,