Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cold weather operation

Keeshond John

I've never used a metal detector in the winter time or below 45 degrees F. Will the batteries stay functional below freezing? And will using a detector in the cold be ruinous to its innards on coming into warm indoor air? Condensation is my worry. That and the general delicateness of many electronic products to atmospheric changes of temperature and moisture.

I have an urge to go play outside even though it's below freezing now and I can not dig. Would like to simply play in the driveway and maybe pickup old nails for the sake of my car tires. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

There are people who put hot packs and covers around their control boxs.

Have used MXT in the early winter before the ground froze to hard to dig up to temp of -5 Celsius and lower for periods of up to a few hours
Once the batteries freeze the signals become unreliable.
One way to avoid this is to use hot packs enclosed in a wrapper around the whole housing.
The only problem is my mitted hands still froze.
Usually avoid winter hunting now but had no problem with the detectors other than the batteries.

Very rarely do we see single digit temps. here in W. Tn., but I have and do hunt with temps. in the teens and 20's and have never experienced any problems of any kind with my detectors. HH jim tn

Most manuals give the temps the unit can withstand both high and low..As far as the batteries freezing always keep in the fridge between hunts and never had a problem...Headphones make good earmuffs for those real cold days...