Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coincidence or What?

Ron J

(This is a rerun of a post i wrote back in 2002,figured i'd share it again,for those of you who hadn't been reading Royal's tales,back then.) Guess i'll start by informing you,my Dad,was born in Provincetown Massachusetts in 1906.(Way wayyy before it was known as a gay community!!) Being born there meant you were to become a fisherman! Period! A real tough living back then! No modern day winch's to pull in the nets,Alot of fishing boats used sails! This wasn't for Joe! No sir! At 15 years old,Joe told a little white lie,to the inlistment officer,of the Coast Guard,("Live Saving Service" back then) that he was a young man of 16 years old! Thus he began his career of 25+ years in the U.S.C.G. Guess these little white lies were rather common back then.. I was always proud of his career,and didn't know of the age difference till the last few years of his life.Only found out,because i took care of his medical/insurance papers/bills etc. He made sure i wrote his "correct birthdate" on all gov't documents.Imagine at 80 plus years he was still worried about loosing benefits,cause of a little fib? Even his Veteran's Plaque at his gravesite has the "correct" birthdate! Different than the gravestone! Getting back to the title of the story,Over his career,Dad was stationed at various locations on Cape Cod.Had alot of Beach Patrol,walking the beaches at night,etc. He was stationed in Greenland,Portland Maine,and of course Ptown over his career.Eventually he was stationed at Winter Island,in Salem Ma. in 1945.That's where the story takes us. Prior to being stationed in Salem,he had been married,had 3 boys,Joey,Louie,Allen (Alsway on forum),and a daughter,Eleanor,back in Ptown. Had gotten divorced. In Salem,Joe met Theresa,and started his second family.Along came me,and my younger brother Paul. 1950 came,and Dad retired from the service.We still visited Winter Island C.G.base often,especially on holidays,seeing all the airmen,and seaman in uniforms,putting on shows etc. This was always a special place!Seaplanes,Patrol boats etc.. In the late 50's, Dad had purchased a Lobsterboat,for a living.We would drop pots around Salem Harbor.It was very common back then to see the C.G. Seaplanes landing and taking off in the harbor.There was a designated area for them to use.This meant no fishing or dropping pots in that area. We woud still visit the base,right up into the 60's.Could purchase liquor,smokes cheaper on the base.I remember when i was 16,getting my own Base I.D.! I remember being brought into the Hanger,getting my I.D. photo being taken right next to a C.G. SEAPLANE! In the Hanger! Wow! I'll never forget that moment.. Now,back to the title...At the Nissan dlr i'am employed at,we have an on premise Bodyshop. One of the bodymen we have is Barry,an avid Detectorist! Even though he hunts with a White's,he a pretty good guy!! He looks like a clone to "Hacksaw",a former WWF wrestler.I got to know Barry real well,sharing detecting stories,and of course trying to outhunt each other!We have other common interests,sharing old family photographs.Biggest thing we have in common? HIS father was a U.S.C.G. PILOT,and was stationed at Winter Island at the same time my father was!! Neither one of us knew this until after a few years knowing each other! I found a 1947 Thanksgiving Menu from the base,in my fathers trunk.I shared this with Barry.The menu list's everyone on the Base.Kind of a weird feeling,me and Barry,reading this menu together,thinking our fathers were most likely eating together in 1947? I let Barry take the menu home to show his Mom. If only are fathers were alive to talk about this! Like i mentioned before,that Base,which closed years ago,means alot in my memories.If the Base wasn't there,i wouldn't exist!Dad wouldn't have met my Mother! Joe must have been quite the lady's man,Mom was 20 years younger than him! At the time he was 42! What a coincidence,me and Barry,employed at the same company,Dad's stationed at the same Base,and sharing the same Hobby,Dectectoring! Sadly,the Base is still there,as a Park.The hanger still exists,but in poor shape. The City of Salem owns the Park,and will GAF you $10 bucks to drive in. At least i can see it from my boat! Winter Island will always be a special place. Before the fee's started,and Dad was still alive,i would drive him there,and enjoy the ocean view,and of course, the Memories!! RJ

Gosh, we've got to hook up sometime. I get down to Beverly to see my daughter's family a few times a year. Maybe we've even seen each other and never knew it?

Dave

it is amazing the links many of us have with eachother.....

It is fun remembering isn't it. That is the most pleasurable parts of this forum for me. The awakening of memories.
Thanks

Good story Ron. I remember it from a while back but a wonderful. re-read!! :)

Sunny skies, calm seas

M

Ron,winter island was my first landing place in Salem,from ptown.It sure brought memories back,I Just's turned 17 ,spent the summer writh dad and your mon. Had to baby sit you and paul.Your mon was alway at theC.G.beach .I remenber all this,just like yesterday .I may have met Barry dad;but not knowing what is now. MEMORIES MEMORIES Nice story Brother.