Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin$trike is getting a Bumrap!

John S.(NY)

I have been using Minelab products since I got back into metal detecting about 5 or 6 years ago.
Occasionally I will pick up another unit to learn and test side by side with the Explorer, if the price is right.
I find this especially useful in discounting all the BS on these forums from people who really don't know what they are talking about, as they never spent time on the machine that they are "bad mouthing".

I have used CZ's and will say that they are a great detector, just not my "cup of tea".
Over this past summer I picked up a second hand Coin$trike as I was curious about its performance.

The Coin$trike really impressed me, and for those of you who have never mastered the Explorer, there are some operating characteristics that are actually more similar to an Explorer than you may realize.

The reason that I am writing this is I have noticed second hand units for sale at practically "give away" prices, and even just noticed an add where the Coin$trike was grouped in with Bounty hunters!!

This is what I would consider a "Bum-rap" for the Coin$trike, to me the Coin$trike is the only detector I have used over the years, that I would feel comfortable with while not using my Exp.
Infact, if I were to hang up my Explorer tomorrow, I would be swinging a Coin$tike, and I have tried about all the rest of the detectors out there.

For a guy who gave up on the Explorer, or for a "Fisher diehard" who wants to try something else, the Coin$trike is a great detector, not worthy of the "Bad rep" it seems to have gotten.

I usually don't post much anymore ( was a regular poster on the Explorer forum for years) as I am detecting or working as much as possible, but when I see the injustice given to this detector I have to scratch my head and wonder.

HH
John Sawyer

Just as Much . I can move faster with it , It goes just as deep and its great on Indian Heads and large Cents . I have to say the EX is Great on Silver .

by the Coinstrike. The problem is, most fellows won't put in the time to learning the C$, they just badmouth it and move on to an easier machine. But yes, the C$'s re-sale value is not very good. It's hard to buy a new C$ then use it for 2-3 hours then be forced to drop the price down to $450.00-500.00 if your lucky to sell it.

But then, most detectors are the same, buy a new CZ3d, try and sell it and be lucky to get $500.00 for it.

I agree, the coinstrike is getting a bad rap !! Any die hard detectorist out there should get one and spend the time to learn it . I t usually takes about fourty hours to really learn the coinstrike. I also have an explorer , Dfx, Mxt ,cz6a, and many others. It is quickly becomeing my favorite detector.

I took a friend out hunting for the first time to a old school house cellar Hole . A guy walking by with his Dog told us that we wouldn't find anything since the site has been bounded for years and he has hit it many times himself . Well I set up the C$ at 420 ,handed it to my friend who never used a detector and told him if it beeps and reads 21 or over dig it . Not more then ten minutes goes by and he digs out a large Cent 8" down right next to the Cellar hole . It had a nail laying over the top of it about 3" . Well he found the nail first , I told him to check the hole again and it read 34 . Needless to say he was very happy . Not bad for his very first time with a hard to learn detector !?!

Coinstrike once learned can be a potent weapon in ones arsenal. No perfect unit and mine liked rusty beer caps as a CZ likes deep rusty nails. If one can afford it usually nice to have several units in their stable....As far as an Explorer goes many do well with them but unlike the Coinstrike have to be hunted with slowly whereas you can swing a Coinstrike much faster...and cover more area..

Check out www.metaldetectorreviews.net . The Coin$trike is far and away the worst rated Fisher machine listed. Some of you who believe in the machine ought to give it some good ratings and reviews so that others aren't scared away from this machine.

Just a suggestion....

half the people never tried the detector, or use fake names just to slam other brands. But that's a good point.....we should all get over there & post some positive, honest reviews.

I think it should be a good resource for those that are looking for a detector, but I'm sure what you're saying is true in many cases. Interesting though, the 1236-x2 and excel have some of the highest ratings of any detectors on there - at least of the ones I've looked at!

I'll have to go over there & take a look. Maybe the Excel has been easier for folks to grasp I guess :shrug:

I don't know why their resell isn't higher.My last two Xlt's I bought new for $750,used them for 5 years and resold them both for over $700.I just got a new DFX.My old one which I bought new for $850,sold for $825 on ebay.It was almost 5 years old.I'm sorry to say,bought if you want to buy a Fisher,it looks like the best way is to buy a slightly used one on ebay for $300 to $400 less.Dave

If it wasn't for TV comercials, the Whites would be a bummer re-seller , people believe bout anything they see on TV= RIGHT???.. Think about it !!
:detecting::fisher::fisher::fisher::fisher::fisher::fisher::fisher::detecting::usmc::usaflag:

If you look at most of the top machine for each detector manufacter they all get their share of poor reviews. Might be something to do with dropping around $1000 or more and not living up to his/her expectations for the extra money. Some people want to exact revenge thru such places. I was always taught if you can't say something good don't say it. I owned a C$ and it wasn't working as good as the other machines I have. But, I would be willing it's due to location more than machine which alot of people don't understand. I sold it and bought a 3D which works great in my area and compliments my Explorer well. My main point being there are so many different things that can impact a detectors performance and perception to the user including personal preferences. I don't put any confidence in most reviews (sorry Bill... :) ). I buy the detector and find out for myself. If I would have went by the Explorer reviews at that site I would have never bought one. For ME, the Explorer is an awesome machine. But,, in the same thought so is the 3D in the areas that I prefer it. It can beat my Explorer in depth to a certain point in mineralization but I figured out long ago depth is not everything.

-Bill

for everyones area or particular taste in machines. BUT, I for one enjoy reading the reviews and find them very helpful when shopping for another detector, because unlike some folk, I don't have an endless supply of cash that I can afford to drop on every machine on the market only to turn around and re-sell it in a month or so when its determined that I don't care for it. This type of buy and try cost quite a bit when you figure once you bought the detector, it automatically loses about $200-$250.00 of its value.

Heck even returning it to the dealer will cost a minimum of a 20 percent restocking fee, but only if its still in original condition, which is quite impossible since original condition is sealed in a box.