Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

coin shooting

kevinslack

i was wanting to get a metal detector just for coin hunting, which one do you think would give clear sounds on coins 10 inches deep. i have a DFX with 4 coils and for me the deeper coins are on a broken up sound. i was told to use the mixed mode to get deep coins but i dont like the mixed mode sound on the DFX.

Coins would come in better on the lower single frequency (3), have you tried that?

yes i have used the 3 frequency in the deep silver program, and have tryed alot of drifferent settings to get deep. but after 5 inches sounds start to break up on coins that i dig, and also you dont get a very good VDI reading on a coin deeper then that for me anyways. so was looking to sell this set up and buy another one that can get deep on coins with a good VDI on the screen for a coin size target. my ground here in colorado reads about 93- when checked with the DC PHASE dont know if that has anything to do with how deep i can pick up a coin or not.

Gosh, it seems like forever ago I had my DFX, I believe you may want to turn your bottlecap reject setting lower. Coins will break up if it set too high. You might want to lower the sweep speed setting as well. If you post your question on the DFX forum in the Classroom section, Yazoo or Larry(IL) could solve your problem pretty quickly. Along with a couple hundred other DFX users. The deepest coins I ever dug were with a DFX, so you have the right machine. Are you using the stock coil? or a smaller one.

Get a Nautilus. A true mixed mode and far more pleasent than the Whites attempt.

I always used a single frequency with my DFX for land hunting which gave extra depth but there was always a problem with audio. For extra depth with my XLT (which I still have, the DFX had to go) you could just adjust the recovery speed down. Try that with the Minelab derived DFX and the audio does sound broken like iron.

Hi Kevin, Looks to me like you need a nice used fisher CZ3D, These work great in tough ground. On ten inch coins the audio is as consistent as minelabs, Garretts, or Whites. Also the option to bump nickels, small silver and indian head pennies up to the coin range works great! Kevin I've spent a lot of time with all these detectors for old coin hunting the CZ3D is excellent. By the way thank you for shipping my new and your old DFX, Good luck hunting, Darryl.