Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin mode useless on GTAx 550???

stikman

I'll quote from another forum "Coin mode on that thing is almost worthless unless the coin is not deep or laying flat". I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I seem to be having horrible luck finding coins since having my 550 repaired this week. I am getting better results during air test (7-9 in. instead of the 3-4)
but I seem to be getting a lot of false signals. I'll get a "quarter" at 3 inches and I'll dig and dig without finding anything. I'll go over the hole and it says that it is still there. I use my Bullseye (although it gets a little erratic at times) and it will find a signal in the bottom of the hole. I dig and dig some more with no results except for a huge hole that I have to work hard to piece back together. This is happening all over town. Maybe it's gas or water lines? I suppose with time, I'll get use to this thing. I'm trying to be patient, but it's tough. The hot weather doesn't help much either. Oh yeah, about that erratic Bullseye. Sometimes I'll see videos of you guys digging and probing with your pinpointers, but if I barely even touch anything with the Bullseye, it goes crazy. I have to keep it from contacting the ground. Also, sometimes when I get a signal, the thing just keeps on buzzing even if I hold it in the air. I have to switch it off and on a couple of times to get it to work right.

You might back the sensitivity down on both your 550 and pinpointer? Also if you lay your coil too close to the hole it may make your pinpointer buzz. Move the coil away and see what happens..

I have a field test on the 550 at losttreasure.com The 550 is a great machine and hot on rings. Who repaired it. Drop your sensitivity down to about 6 or 6.5. Run your cable straight up the shaft for about a foot or so and fasten it with velcro, electrical ties, tape, or whatever. Scan with the coil an inch or two off the ground. Whoever made the post on that other forum apparently doesn't know squat about using a Garrett. I ran into that a lot when I ran the Garrett Classroom ( precursor to this forum ) for a year or two. Unless your machine is defective it will find anything out there.

Bill

I sent it to Garrett and they replaced the power cord and battery holders and re-calibrated it. When you say to back the sensitivity down to 6 or 6.5, how many notches is that on the screen? I don't think I can adjust the sensitivity on the bullseye, as it is the Bullseye I and not the II. It's wonderful to hear that this detector is OK in coin mode because All-metal mode gives me a freakin' headache in this trash-filled town

Oh, and one other thing, should I or shouldn't I dig items that don't show up on the ID screen? And why don't they show up?

Hit the "depth" button and a display screen will appear with numbers from one to twelve. Just press the + or - touchpads and set it at 6 or 6.5. Don't ever use all metal in trashy areas. Stick with coin mode until you have mastered your detector.

Bill

No, sometimes, but not too often, I get a signal and recheck it over and over again and it beeps and beeps, but a no notch appears on the screen identifying the signal. Oh, and on the depth setting, consider me an idiot. I forgot the numbers were there.

i use a 550 and love it ihave had it for about two years but really have not hunted but about a year of that time.like anything i am still learning more about it all the time.what i think you should try first is making a test garden in your yard.that way you won't have a bunch of trash and you can see what actual depths you are getting.do this by planting different coins at different depths and then water the area let it sit so that the dirt will congel around the coins like they would in the field.i think this will help you out some if not then let us know we can try something different.as far as trashy areas go i hunt primarily with a sniper coil.you might want to look into getting one if your hunting areas are that trashy.it took me awhile to really get the hang of mine the more you use it the more you will learn your machine.hope this helps happy hunting

I use the Bullseyes II which Im happy with. Just below the led light there,s a turn switch that will adjust the sensivity. Just before inserting the probe in the hole or checking the plug I check it against the digging tool or the metal part of the dectector to make sure It'll work. Seemes to need slight ajustments ever so often. Should be good for 1.5 to 2 inches distance from target. I use mine in vibraion mode as I wear headphones.:)

I just have the Bullseye 1 and it doesn't have a sensitivity control on it. As far as a test garden, its pretty much out of the question, as I have no yard. In fact, I can't even see a blade of grass from where I live. I'll have to think of something. An article I read in one of this months MD magazines addresses my issue of not getting a target ID to show up every time I get a signal. I believe that it said that sometimes on target ID units, if a target is too deep, then the detector cannot ID the target, and so it simply doesn't. I suppose that I'll have to start digging these signals. I believe that I may be relying on the target ID too much anyway. If a cast iron hubcap can come up as a quarter, then who knows what could be ringing up as iron?