Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin/jewellery

Judy

I've read alot of the 250 grabbing alot of coin, does it do as well for jewellery?

[size=small]It picks up jewelry quite well, as its a sensitive little booger by design. Assuming you mean Gold, heres some comments about what Ive experienced,not just with the ACE but with many detectors. Others will add more, and Bill R. has a lot to say about this, too.

My testing indicates the Ace 250 is iffy on filigree and chains - but then what detector isnt? Detectors sense metallic surface area, not mass. Finely worked jewelry and chains dont have much surface area, so are hard to "see".
On rings, though, its excellent. A ring is superb at induction of EMF - it really is just a single-loop inductor, after all. This is why ring pulltabs hit so well. But, your question was, "Will it do well on jewelry?" Id say just look at what people find with it in the jewelry ranges and you 'll see.

Regardless, the following things apply to jewelry as a whole -

1. If someone loses it, they usually look for it.
There is less than you dream about. It exists, dont misunderstand. But, you will find far more coinage and other items for each piece of keeper jewelry (more on that in a minute). Ask Roscoe about his recent "ring slump"... he started out like gangbusters, finding ring on top of ring. But, you knew what was coming; he hit the wall and they dried up.
The place to find them is where people are vigourously active and the ground beneath their feet will absorb/hide any lost jewelry.

NOTE: Much jewelry is found in the water. But, hunting in around wet water is a highly specialized field of it's own and we're talking about dirt digging here.

1a. Sand lots such as play and volleyball areas, sports fields with thick grass and of course the beach with its sand and "sun-tan slickum" are prime spots. People taking gloves on and off are a factor too, it seems, and possibly why so many rings seem to turn up in Northern climes.
Every old house Ive ever hunted can be expected to yield one or two jewelry items, as well, due merely to the steady flow of human activity over YEARS.

2. Gold Goodies conduct right in the midrange.
They can run anywhere from foil to screwcap. That's the harsh reality. Most decent gold of valued alloy (10-18K) comes in around nickel and pulltab. Bullion coins (22K) are somewhat lower, foil - nickel. Someone around here did a study not long ago and learned that the ACE detected about 75% of all the gold rings they tested around the nickel range.
Silver: Ag does what Ag does; it conducts high. Most silver jewelry is Sterling grade (.925 pure) and is increasingly popular as precious metal prices continue to spiral upwards. It is pleasantly easy to spot with a detector as it usally bongs in with a Belltone on the Ace.

3. Much "costume" jewelry exists.
As much or more than the good stuff. We like to call them "junk rings" or "junk jewelry" and we content ourselves with comments like, "Hey, it's a ring!". But, in fact, it eats into your Coin/Ring ratio.
Simply, the C/R Ratio is the number of other items you will find before you find a keeper ring. Normally it's based against coins, but in truth ALL signals should be included. This number varies depending on who you talk to and where they hunt, but to say it's a 1000:1 might not be off the mark. At any rate, it's alot more "things" found compared to jewlery.
Junk jewelry tends to conduct higher into the midrange, so I guess that's of some aid. But as with any midrange target (including jewelry) and the ACE 250, it boils down to a "dig or not" decision. There is very little clear indication as to what it is, aside from the cursor location. This is why a clear understanding of the conductivity of metallic items is important.

4. Some detectors are better for solid jewelry ID than others. The ACE 250 is not one of them, with its simple notch/cursor arrangemnet. Some that offer more hope are the XLT Spectrum and Cortez. They also hit your pocketbook a good bit harder than the ACE!
Regardless, it is a matter of experience with a particular detector when it comes to this issue. There was a poster here last season, Fred, who did well with his ACE 250 at finding rings. However, he focused hard on that:
+ He DISC'ed out all but the midrange. Coins were not part of his game.
+ He dug alot of pulltab and foil signals...and found alot of pulltabs and foil.

5. If you want jewelry, you will find even more trash tham most of us.
Burn that into your brain. It is an immutable Law of Detecting.

Finding jewelry with any detector is one part skill, one part instrument and one part dumb luck. You can up the odds in your favor, but your best chance at finding the precious stuff lies in your willingness to develop a keen friendship with your digging tools.

Hope this helps, Judy.[/size]

Judy,
Here is a link to a previous post I made showing a very tiny silver chain. It is not much larger than a quarter. It hit on my 250/sniper at foil, half sens in jewelry mode in some bark chips. I would say it was only an inch down. But I was amazed that I even got a beep.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,431877,431877#msg-431877

I am very happy with what I've accomplished so far and it's been a week. Just really curious tho?? If I happened to stumble upon some 'bling-bling' I was curious to know if I would recognize the signals? Did the practice at home on different stuff as per suggested and found of course out in the hunting fields it can be a little different. Thanks for all the great advice!:thumbup:

P.S. Bought myself some headphones the other day and not drawing a crowd anymore or making the neighbourhood dogs howl. geez.:wacko:

Would you recognize the signals? Probably not for a long time and even then a detector like the ACE isnt real "expressive". Better just to develop a cavalier attitude towards junk.

Yes...it does very well with jewellery, and has an infinity with gold. But, you have to dig a lot of targets too, especially in that pull tab/nickel range.

I have picked up a gold c-clasp, a thin ankle bracelet, many ear rings, a belly button ring, charms, necklaces, and many rings. 3 weeks ago I found 3 rings in one day.

It certainly does. Go up to the top of the page and click on the post for the field test of the Sun Ray YF-1 inline probe. You'll see a few rings and trinkets found with a 250.

Bill

Did you see the pic in the current issue of the Searcher where that kid found a tiny nugget with the 250?

Bill

I'm tryin'. I don't mind finding stuff, pop lid, etc., all part of the game right? (quoting an old saying...it's not the destination, but the trip getting there.)

Hi Judy.

I have found 11 gold rings with my ace 250 including two diamond rings, one valued at A$7950 and the other A$1000. Gold bracelets valued A$900, gold necklace, 12 silver rings, large silver bracelets, silver ear rings and the list goes on.
I search in jewellry mode with the left most bar notched out. This gets rid of most tin foil. I have found that most of the jewellry has notched in around ring pull up to about your 10 cents. This is where our nickel coins fall and it is always a surprise to see gold or silver when you where expecting a coin.

The ace 250 is good on coins and jewellry.

Chris.
[attachment 42318 Ring1.JPG]
[attachment 42319 Treasures.JPG]
[attachment 42320 WhiteGoldEngagementring.12.11.2006.JPG]