Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coils for the O8

mattw

Are there any other coils for the O8, besides the stock 10", 11" and 5"? I would like something in the 4x7 or 8" range that is DD design. What Fisher coils will work with this machine?

Thanks Matt

mattw said:
Are there any other coils for the O8, besides the stock 10", 11" and 5"? I would like something in the 4x7 or 8" range that is DD design. What Fisher coils will work with this machine?
Matt, the Omega can use all four of the 'Greek' series coils.

The stock elliptical 10" concentric.

The 11" BiAxial DD coil.

The round 8" concentric coil that is used on the Delta and Gamma, and works quite well for most typical day-to-day detecting.

The round 5" DD coil, which is deadly when hunting in any trashy environment. It gets very good depth, especially for its size.

I am not sure if there are any truly worthwhile aftermarket coils for the Omega because I haven't made the effort to seek them out and give them a try. Why not? Because most of the time I've found those types of coils to be heavier than these light and well balanced detectors,. That would defeat the value of owning a light and handy detector, causing the balance to be terrible. Besides, using all of these coils I've found the to all work quite well.

Monte

I just asked because I have grown quite fond of the small elliptical coils on my DFX and my SE Pro. They cover a little more ground, but still are awesome at target separation.

mattw said:
I just asked because I have grown quite fond of the small elliptical coils on my DFX and my SE Pro. They cover a little more ground, but still are awesome at target separation.
Matt,

Like you, I definitely appreciate a proper coil for a task, and I am especially fond of smaller-than-stock coils because I frequently hunt in trashier sites. Most of the time, when using an XLT or XL Pro or IDX Pro or MXT or M6 (and even a DFX or Spectra V3), I have a 6

Thanks Monte, what about an Elliptical coil ??

Monte, the unit seems to recover very quickly. I have only had a few minutes between rain and snow to test it, but it also seems fairly hot. Should the ground error bars move around when you pass over a target? Is there a sweet spot for just a little disc. when working in heavy iron trash such as nails? Also, I have found a few small references to possible TID values for the Omega, is there a general list somewhere that I cannot find in Google for US coins? I like to find Indians, they TID just a little off from other pennies on my Explorer SE and DFX and I would assume that to be the case with this as well. I can air test some targets, but cannot get any kind of stability in the house and I do not have any buried to run out and test.

Thanks Matt

Matt --

I don't have an Omega, so I can't help you on the TID numbers. But, I have a Fisher F70 which does have a "ground meter." To answer your question, I have found it to be not uncommon to see the ground meter jump around a bit when passing over certain targets (iron). Since the ground meter is trying to read "iron oxide content -- Fe3O4" in your ground, it makes sense that a rusty iron target would also affect the meter.

Hope that helps some,

Steve

Hey, that is good to know.

I ran the coil of my Omega over 4 IH pennies I have 2 were early 1900's and 2 were late 1800's, I didn't have my glasses with me so I don't know in what order tossed them down but the VDI readings on them ranged from 74-77 hope this helps. Jimmie

I borrowed an F75 6X3" concentric from a friend for a few hours last week. It worked fine on my Omega,..... So well that I bought one. It arrived Monday and I put it on my Omega and haven't taken it off since then. I've used it in various locations hunting both relics and coins in parks. The coil works great on my machine. It's dead on,.. on ID tones and numbers. I took it into the trashiest park in the city. This park has every kind of bottle cap you can imagine and there's hundred's of them throughout the park. When I used my small DD coil in this park it was completely overwhelmed by bottle caps and they were constantly giving me coin signals. It was totally different hunting in this park with the 6X3 concentric. I came home with a pocket full of coins (no silver yet) , a 10K ring and a smile on my face. I dug 0 bottle caps. I occasionally got a half signal but the coil is far superior to the small DD in areas like this. Don't know if it will work for you but it works great on my machine. A special thanks to Monte, jackintexas and all who have participated in this discussion. My Omega now can handle just about any kind of hunting conditions.