Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Weight Question

sport.pilot

Hello Everyone,

I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists, and as a result, my endurance level is much lower than it use to be. I am unable to hunt with a detector that is very heavy at the coil end. That was one of the main reasons I sold my Explorer XS. I have hunted with my X-70 using the standard coil, the 5x10 DD and the 6" DD without any trouble. I have been considering the 10" DD coil, but my dealer and some of the other forum users have told me that it is much heavier and takes some getting used to. Can anyone tell me the weight of the standard coil and the 10" DD coil so I can try adding some weight to my standard coil to see if it is a possibility for me? Or perhaps just how much more the 10" DD coil weighs than the standard coil? Does the 10" DD coil make the X-70 feel like my old Explorer? I am going to try to get out to my local dealer, but based on past performance, it is doubtful he will have it - most accessory coils are only available by special order. Thank you all. This a great site, and I learn at least one new thing everyday!

The 10.5" feels only a few ounces heavier than the standard 9" to me but it does make the detector feel just slightly front heavy (unbalanced). I ordered a short lower rod to see if it will make a difference to the balance. By no means does the 10.5" coil make the XT70 heavy. I'd say it is still not much over 3 pounds. I hope this helps.

Buy one of those bungee cord things from Kellyco for $20.00. It has a strap that attaches to the front and rear of your belt, a round clamp that goes on the detector shaft and the bungee cord. You can adjust it so that it makes the detector virtually weightless. I just put one on mine as my back is not as young as it used to be, and it really supports the weight well. The coil just kinda guides effortlessly now. The bungee attaches to a ring on the belt and to a ring on the clamp that goes on the shaft. The only tool needed to install it is a Phillips head screwdriver. Put the round clamp up high on the shaft, just below the curve where the rod straightens out. Try it, you'll like it. It may get in the way when you go to put your detector down, but it has an easy to disconnect clip on the ends of the bungee cord so it's really not much of a problem.

Good hunting, John K

Hi Sport pilot.
The standard coil weighs 15.85oz and the medium frequency round DD coil weighs 20.90oz. It is the same shape and weight as the coil on the XS. The 5x10 DD is a much better choice, just don't put in on wet grass or in water without water proofing it first. I wouldn't recommend the round DD coil if you have suffered carpal tunnel. Perhaps in a couple of years time if your injury has improved sufficiently.
Mick Evans.

Thanks Mick,

My CT injuries have recovered as much as they are going to - surgery was about 5 years ago. Thanks for the info. Unless I go to a Swingy Thingy (which I really do not like using much) I will stay with the 3 coils I have -- the standard coil, the 5X10 DD and the small DD. I may add the small concentric coil one day if I feel the need. Thank you again. Have a great weekend.

Darryl