Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

coil size and vdi s

jerryrigg

can different coils give you different vdi readings? it seems that the 12 inch coil gives a different vdi than the 4x6 by a few numbers.

I've noticed that between my BigFoot coil and my other coils there's a two digit difference. HH, Nancy

JRigg-

Yes, I also notice that there is usually a 1 digit vdi difference when i go from my 5.3 concentric to the 950 concentric coil on my MXT Pro. :huh:

CCH

Hi - dont want to sound rude, but during the rough spell of weather we've had in the UK I've been watching a lot of detecting videos clips from around the world - what's so special about VDI numbers - surely you dig a good signal and that's it :shrug:

ExpIInut said:
Hi - dont want to sound rude, but during the rough spell of weather we've had in the UK I've been watching a lot of detecting videos clips from around the world - what's so special about VDI numbers - surely you dig a good signal and that's it :shrug:

I have to agree with EXpllnut...
It's the same as the TID it's just a best guess or a maybe what's down there.
The only way to know for sure is to DIG...
80-84 ahh a Dime or Quarter.... but also a bottle cap!!! so Dig Dig Dig
At any rate it doesn't matter what style of hunting you use... as long as your having fun fun fun...

HH

ExpIInut said:
I believe the value in the VDI is in splitting hairs to try and diiferentiate good targets from trash when a couple numbers in one direction or the other can mean a big difference. It's a matter of resolution. A tone I.D. or other indication for a particular "zone" gives you the zip code...the VDI gives you the address. JMHO

[size=large]first of all i'd like to say the question is a good one and not rude at all.
i'm a newbie and have come to rely on my vdi numbers. haven't learned noises yet. i probly miss alot of targets cause i can't dig everything.i must restrict my digging to what is probly sure. a firm maybe. i have to think there's quite a few who aren't able to dig like gophers. would like to but do what we can. so be nice to some of use. we're happy being able to do what we can. that leaves more for the rest. :stretcher: [/size]

thanks for the feedback. i got pretty tuff skin so im not shaken by some of ya. im just saying that in the low vdis like 20, it could be a nickel ,ring but a change by a few numbers can get you some can slaw or soda can tabs. i was just wondering if others experienced the same thing.

Yes, it's common for different coil sizes to give slightly different VDI's on a given target...1 or 2 numbers in either direction. That is unless you have a V3i with the coil selection feature...

I suppose that I may have to re-think some of my previous remarks - over here in the UK anything that gives a non discriminated signal is usually always dug - doing the parks and what have you over there does increase the chances of of digging or at least coming across more unwanted items - one example I can give are ring pulls - over here they are not rejected as thats the same area of discrimination that some of our ancient silver coins come in at :surrender:

I actually notice this is the case with all of my detectors. I have a large assortment of coils for each machine, for all different types of hunts (Minelab Excalibur, E-Trac, M6, Fisher F70, Gold Bug II). Like the others said, Whites acknowledges this by having it as a feature on the V3i and this is a feature, that they feature, lol.

HH, Mark