Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil question

Lee man

I don't know if there is a right answer, but if you were hunting with your SE in yards and parks which coil would you prefer to use: the standard coil or the Sunray X-5?

the 6" Excelerator coil or the 1050 coil on my SE for parks and yards. Whatever works best for you will probably depend on what settings you use on your machine. A lot of us run very different settings and like different coils...but we all seem to find some goodies. It would also greatly depend on the amount of trash in said park or yard. Good luck using whatever you choose.

my 5" Excelerator coil got no use until my ML 10.5" coil developed a short. then i had no choice, and i gave the small coil a try.

it was like suddenly using a pencil after writing with a marker for months. in open ground i was lost, because i couldn't imagine covering a large area with such a small coil.
i did like it in a couple small trashy areas i had already covered with the larger coil, and i found a few goodies i missed the first time around.

my compromise was to buy the SunRay Stealth X-8, which i like very well after only a few weeks. i hear the ML 8" coil is comparable; stable with good separation.

as an aside, i sent Minelab my bad coil, along with my warranty card--more than 6 months late!--and they honored my warranty & replaced my 10.5" stock coil FREE OF CHARGE!
needless to say, i'm VERY happy with Minelab for that...

the 6" excelerator in trashy places...and many times in open areas too. I think it's a good choice. I wish I could try the 1050 coil like Bryce has...but my funds are limited. If you hunt slow to pick up missed goddies.you aren't worried about how much ground is covered...you are worried about hitting good targets masked by trash. To me it doesn't matter how much ground I cover...but more so it's whether or not I'm finding silver others have missed. I did have the 8" minelab coil and liked it but the 6" coil has hit coins at 8" for me just like the minelab. The 6" separates much better than the 8" coil did and I got the same depth. Now if I coud only pick up an ex2 coil.

n/t

I put an 8" coil on mine and never took it off. I was spoiled very quickly.

I'd use the large coil first and get all the deepies. Then I'd break out the small coil and get the ones mixed in the trash or on edge.

the Quattros. Some of the EX2's came from the factory with the 1000 coil on them and I had 2 of those EX2's. Many of the EX2's from the factory had the 1050 coil on them though. Not sure if the earlier ex2's came with the 1050 or the older ones came with it...but the 1050 coil sure makes my SE much more stable. I tried the stock 1000 ex2 coil and it made no difference on my SE...but the stock 1050 ex2 coil made a WORLD of difference for me:thumbup:....MUCH more suitable for me and my settings than the stock SE slimline coil.

The smaller coils separate much better than their larger cousins. Especially if your searching for lower conductive coins such as $1 gold pieces or Civil War buttons in heavy iron trash. Some of our customers have made just one great find with the X-5, but it was a big find. Lots of good finds come with the X-5 coil. Certain steps to getting the most out of it but a quality product in a class by itself. David@Dixie