Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Question: how to attach, seal the coil cover to the coil.

Hello everyone, i remember seeing a reference to a post some time ago that i think Cody uses cilicone to seal his coil cover to his coils. Just want to know first is this a good thing to do, and why. Second ( because i like the idea ) how are all of you dooing that? not that i couldnt take a tube of cilicone and fill up the cover, squish the coil on and wipe off the excess!!!??? just want to hear from some of you with some experience with this. also what type, kind of cilicone are you using? thanks, ben

Well, that's basically what I did... I put silicone in the coil cover, put it on and wiped off the excess. You can't really see where it was siliconed. Some guys use black for that "custom" look :) mine was clear. Others like Max, use a marine epoxy on the bottom and sides of the coil; he has intructions for that. Next time I remove my cover, that's what I'm going to do.

Sealing the coil cover keeps moisture, dirt, salt, sand out. The coil cover protects the coil from wear and bumps and bruises...

when it dries, it's a bit rubbery. While it's waterproof, if you need to remove it, it's not difficult. You can actually peel it off. Maybe someone else knows what it is.

i have five minelab coils...............i use to wait until the warranty ran out, but now i epoxy real soon after i get them...................

keep in mind that i only hunt the damp sand and surf, so the covers were a royal pain for me for many years.

Mike the "professor" introduced me to this product and i have used it now on all my coils

F Y I

I don't use a coil cover on my CZ-20... I use the Exp II for land and sea... because of rocks, rough ground, etc, I decided to use the cover.

The first time I used silicone, I didn't do a very good job and Max is right, it's a royal pain when salt / sand gets in there. Been using this coil cover for about 1 1/2 months and it's held up so far. However, at the very first sign of something funky with the machine, I'll take it off and check to make sure...

Max Great idea using epoxy on the coil bottom. Maybe I need to do this .If I rub the coil on the sand it will false . any Ideas why Ted

Hi GraveDiggerMax,Would you answer me a question about your detectors?By your pics,you have modified the Explorer,at least the shaft part.Could you put up a picture of the whole machine?Is it lighter this way?I have the EX1 and its like lugging around a telephone pole.Any modes I can make to make it lighter,Im interested in.Otherwise,I guess I'll have to spring for the new XTerra. HH Bob

Doc's Swingy Thingy will take care of the problem. I never thought I would like something like the Swingy Thingy but would not be without one. I purchased a pair of work suspenders at Wal Mart and used them to make my own. The only reason for making my own was I did not want to wait for them to come in as I was going on a long hunt.

and had to tie a rope around my neck - see beach forum for pic.

i do not own the W O T any longer

had a great gold day today too :) :)