Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

COIL kHz QUESTION ???

candycane

Let's say I have [ a ] detector which is 12 kHz and two coil's with one being 5 kHz and the other at 18 kHz. How does the detector and the two coil's work when all three are at different kHz. I hope I stated this question clearly..

I only know of one single frequency detector that will run at 3 different kHz. That's the Minelab xterra70. The coils are 3, 7.5, 18.75 kHz. The detector recognizes the different coils and adjusts for them. In general the higher the frequency the more sensitive it is to lower conductive targets. If your looking for gold flakes you would want a high frequency coil. If your looking for silver coins then choose a lower frequency coil. Also the higher frequency coils do not penetrate the ground as deep as the lower frequency coils do. Most "gold specific" detectors run around 20 to 50 kHz.
The xterra 50 will run at 7.5 and 18.75 kHz

n/t

Agreed khouse but the only reason the X-Terra can do that is because each coil has its own computer chip which is unique in the market. Dan

X-terra is a poor solution requiring a host of coils....a funny move after years of pushing the benefits of multifrequency over a single one.

Minelab already had multifrequency models that managed using the same coil so no coil recognition was required. XT 1700 and the later XT 1800 provide three frequencies from one coil (6.4, 20 and 60kHz in the case of the 1800).
Years before that Compass had extended their Challenger range to provide both adjustable filtering and two frequencies (6 and 14 kHz).
Any of these machines were a better idea than the new one of carting round a range of different frequencies coils as you could flick a switch and see the effect a frequency change had on the target response.

That sounds like a better idea. Minelab must of had a good reason for how they built the xterra's. I surely don't know?

n/t