Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

coil going bad

findit

i read that someone was sending in a coil that went bad, just wondering what would make a coil go bad. i know that if you bang it up and crack it it's obviously bad but other than that i didn't think any thing could go wrong inside, and that it either works or doesn't. does anyone know what could go wrong if anything that would make the insides not work anymore?

Yes, rough use can crack a coil and water inside can cause problems, but that is the least likely to happen with most coils on the market.

A bad coil can also mean a bad coil cable, and that can be at the connector end, at the point where it enters the coil, or anywhere along the cable. cases can be stretching/breaking wires from snagging it, pulling on the cable, over flexing the cable, or maybe thorns, stickers that puncture the cable ... to name a few.

The coil internals can get "out of spec" if there's a break in a wire, rough handling (or poor build quality) that jars the Transmit or Receive winding out of position, or a pick-up wire or electronics that get moved, or electronic components that fail, to mention the more common causes.

In simple terms there could be a 'short' but that relates to things being Jarred out of position resulting in contact where there shouldn't be any.

Some coils, by design, are easy to open, inspect and repair, while some are just not 'fixable' a lot of the time.

Monte