Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil for MXT

jfelly65

After much reading and debating on what to buy, I upgraded my Prizm IV today with a MXT 300. My only decision now is trying to determine what coil I should buy to use in the more "trashy" areas the 6x10 or the 4x6. At this time I would like to only purchase one coil that will be universal and will help me target in one the goods as it seems the 12" is a little too large for this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
JF

As I have both (4X6 + 6X10) I would say if you expect to hunt in really heavy trash the 4X6 is the way to go. However, the 6X10 covers more ground, has more depth and does separate in trashy areas a fair bit better than the stock 9.5 and therefore one would assume, better than the 12".
HH
BB

The 6x10 works well in trashy areas, but fails in high trash areas because of its size and being unable to seperate targets very well. There are a number of smaller coils for high trash areas, the 4x6, 4.5x7 DD Excelerator and the 6" DD Excelerator. If you just buy a small coil you will not be able to cover much area. I would recommend you get the 6x10 and see how that works for you. Good luck. HH Dennis in Idaho

I agree with Dennis, The 6 X 10 DD is the best coil to start with. Its a great coil works well in mineralized soil and sandy beaches. The only time I take it off is when I'm in areas that I know the targets are deep, then I use the 4.5 X 7 DD Excelerator.:whites:

I agree with the others. Start out with the 6X10, it will end up being your main stay coil anyway. I also use the 4X6 for heavy trash but the 6X10 stays on unless conditions call for bigger or smaller coils.

Thanks for all the information, I have been leaning towards the 6x10 DD. The only thing now is I was online on the Kellyco website this morning chatting with a sales rep and she brought up the idea that I should consider looking at a 4.5x7" EXcelerator coil. I understand is doesn't cover quite as much area as the 6x10 but how much deeper does the 4.5x7 go? Here's the kicker, the rep quoted me a price of 154.99 for the 4.5x7, seems like a deal I can't pass up but I don't want to make a purchase that won't suit me best at the moment either. Any recommendations? Would this still be a good coil for the more trashy areas?

Yes it's a great coil, I have one and it will give you more depth about 20% more and it's has great separation in trashy areas. BUT it does have a smaller foot print so it will cover less ground. And I still think the 6 X 10 DD would be the better choice for the first upgrade. you can always buy the 4.5 X 7 later, you will be buying and trying different coils, we all do!!:thumbup:

There is no way you can go wrong with the 6x10.

Your 6x10DD would be better.
Too bad the coil that came with the MXT300 is the 12 inch.
It's heavy and pretty much useless unless you want to cover
large areas fast. Your better off finding a 9.5 coil that is standard
with the MXT and getting the 6x10DD. Just my opinion.
RR

I have the 4x6 dd which i plan on useing for Gold hunting,then i have the 5.3 eclipse for the trashy areas,most often i use the 9.5 that came with the MXT.the 5.3 works great for the trashy pulltab littered parks. But after reading all the posts on this im going to have to get the 6x10 now LOL wife is going to freak out on me :)

Unless you have some bad (mineralized) ground to hunt in, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to replace the 5.3 with the 6X10. The 6X10 is a good alternative to the stock coil only if you're hunting in bad (typically a red clay, mineralized, or iron-filled) dirt. I like my 6X10 for how it pinpoints, but the stock coil is still better when the ground is a low mineralized, rich black dirt. And, if you have otherwise good dirt, but has a lot of trash, the 5.3 will get better seperation than the 6X10. Just some things to think about.

Buy your wife an MXT along with a 6x10 coil then she might not freak out as bad, plus you will have a good hunting companion. LOL HH Dennis in Idaho[quote fastfwd]I have the 4x6 dd which i plan on useing for Gold hunting,then i have the 5.3 eclipse for the trashy areas,most often i use the 9.5 that came with the MXT.the 5.3 works great for the trashy pulltab littered parks. But after reading all the posts on this im going to have to get the 6x10 now LOL wife is going to freak out on me :)[/quote]

Thanks for all the advice on coils, I ended up purchasing a 6x10 last week from kellyco and received it today. Can't wait til this next weekend to get out and give it a try, I'm hoping its a little better than the stock 12" coil in the more trashy areas. To make it even better (or maybe I should say worse) I received permission today to hunt an old farmstead dating back to the mid 1800's that has never been detected on. Can't wait to get out and see what there is to be found!
HH all!

Josh in Indiana