Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil flop on Whites PI Pro detector

wesbeach

I just picked up used Whites PI Pro detector and tried it out at low tide today. Man it can sure pick up small junk wire! I did find a Tungston Carbide ring. I still have an Excal 1000, but thought I would give a PI a try.

Question I have is, I started having a big problem with the coil flopping around and was unable to get it tight enough to prevent flopping even when just swinging the detector out of the water. I know there is an accessory to prevent flopping for these coils. Does anyone know who has them and what they are called?

Thanks

Wesbeach

Whites has the accessory for holding your coil in place, I just bought one I think for $4.00. It works well, or you could order a new plastic bolt and rubber washer for the lower shaft where the coil connects through the shaft.
Look on the Whites Web site under accessories.

Gerry

Thanks for the information. The coil does seem to be missing the washers now that I look at it. I will go to the Whites site and order both the accessory and new bolts with washers.

Wesbeach

wesbeach said:
I just picked up used Whites PI Pro detector and tried it out at low tide today. Man it can sure pick up small junk wire! I did find a Tungston Carbide ring. I still have an Excal 1000, but thought I would give a PI a try.

Question I have is, I started having a big problem with the coil flopping around and was unable to get it tight enough to prevent flopping even when just swinging the detector out of the water. I know there is an accessory to prevent flopping for these coils. Does anyone know who has them and what they are called?

Thanks

Wesbeach

If the coil is that loose out of the water it sounds like you need new rubber gaskets for it. If you remove the coil from the rod you'll see 2 small round rubber gaskets that keep the coil tight.
These wear from use and cause the issue you're having. The plastic coil bracket is also nice and will prevent it from moving in the surf.

Thanks!

I just took the coil off and it is missing one of the rubber gaskets. It has one on the right side, but nothing on the left side. The detector got to be useless even over dry sand. I had to bring the thing in out of frustration right at low tide because it flopped so badly I couldn't even swing it over what I dug out of the sand to listen for a signal. It would flop and pick up my scoop.

I found what seemed like about 10 feet of wire in 1 to 3 inch pieces, about 30 cents in clad including a quarter, and a big tungston carbide ring. I hunted the south end of the beach for about 2 hours.

wesbeach said:
I might give hobbytown a try, thanks.

Any dealer that has White's will stock those rubber washers.

In a pinch you could find some like them at a good hardware store and trim them to fit.

While you're at the store, do yourself a favor and get extra ones and a couple of the plastic bolts that go through coil (can never have too many of these things)!:thumbup:

I went by the local hardware store and managed to find a washer (non metal) that seems to do the job. I just put in onto the detector and it doesn't flop anymore.

Wesbeach

but quite often you have to check in all directions to get the double beep, do a slow walk round the target while swinging

I was actually getting the double beep on some of the wire targets, but since this was my first time using a PI machine, I wanted to dig them all to see if I could guess them correctly. There do seem to be subtle differences between tone characteristics for different targets. The coins had a very sharp abrupt tone, bigger wire and objects were smoother sounding, I haven't heard a gold ring yet...:-(. The faint whisper targets were the hardest to identify and usually ended up being very tiny pieces of wire.

Wesbeach

Thanks for making me the brace for the detector! I will try to pick it up from you the next time you are down.

Wesbeach