Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil & Detector KhZ Question

candycane

If a machine operates at a set Khz,how can a coil being a lower or higher KhZ work...Hope I stated this right.

[size=large]One is to use a crystal controlled or similar design whereby the coil must match the dedicated operating frequency. The other is a PPL (phase-lock-loop) or LCO (loop-coil-oscillator) principle where the coil is more part of the operating circuitry. Now, I'm not the electronic genius so I keep this in simple terms, but that's why some models, such as White's XLT, XL Pro, Quantum series, and Classic III SL, Classic ID and IDX Pro share the same coils.s The operate at 6.59 kHz like earlier White's models, but do not share the same search coils. A good example would be the Classic II Vs the Classic ID.

Some brands, such as Tesoro, make a number of models that share the same bunch of search coils, yet they claim to operate at 9.6 kHz, 10 kHz, 10.6 kHz, 12 kHz, 12.5 kHz and even their Golden Sabre Plus that was listed at 15 kHz. Their design used the PPL or LCO application.

Monte[/size]

Now THAT, was the most evasive answer I've ever seen from Monte!:biggrin:

Candycane, would you be a bit more specific about which particular machine you are trying to swap coils on so you can get a proper answer?

Otherwise, the answer is NO. You can NOT swap coils around.

Best,
rmptr

[size=large]that I was thinking you were referring to models like the XLT Vs DFX, or MXT Vs Classic IDX Pro, and then wondering why a number of Tesoro models, with different operating frequencies, can share the same search coils.

Then it dawned on me that you might also be referring to Minelab's X-Terra 50 and X-Terra 70 models. Those are designed such that the electronics 'reads' the coil information and senses the particular frequency the coil is designed for, and operates at that frequency.

Monte[/size]