Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Covers..... I know, here we go again!

Just wanted to get an idea of what most of you are doing with your coil covers. Do you silicone them on before you take em out for the first time? Do you never seal em up? and why do you or why don't you? Any and all advice-criticism is much appreciated......thank, ben

I use covers on most of my coils. Depending on how loose the cover fits & how its designed I either do nothing or at most seal around the outside with a couple rounds of the matching color electrical tape. On my WOT I coated the whole coil with bedliner for protection & to get rid of that awful orange color... wildherre

n/t

and cosmeticly it looks better when I go to sell. If I have a loose one, I've used everything from duck tape to cameo tape to hold it on. I don't know why you would go without one. It save so much wear and tear.:stars:

Not saying anyone else should go without one. I just don't have any interest in ever selling my machine even if I should get a new one :cool:

I don't buy a detector with the intention of selling it. I normally don't use a cover , some detectors are too heavy without adding more weight. When I wear the coil down to the point that it is paper thin or has a hole in it (it's only happened a couple of times) then I put on a coil cover. It's kinda like putting seat covers on a new car so you can save the new seats for the second owner.JMO

I never use them as they are more trouble than their worth! But, most importantly, why use anything that DECREASES your depth! One-sixteenth inch loss can make the difference between finding or not finding a target if you hunt with the coil pressed against the ground. Plus I have seen them not fit snugly, or evenly, causing a loss of depth of over one-quarter inch!

Im still one of those that DONT feel they make that big difference in depth. I use mine and yes if something comes along better, hasnt yet, i would trade up. I like to keep my detectors in as good a condition as possible..... Old school military i guess. If i buy a used detector i dont want one that gives me reason to beleave it might not work properly or might be one hunt from needing to be sent in for repairs. Dont know why, but the minelab dont hold their resale as well as say a whites so i like to get as much as possible in trade. Also coils are expensive and they get enough banging around. Its a pain removing the cover and it doesnt take much under the cover to affect the reading or cause falseing. If you have ever hunted on a beach out out west you know what im taking about with sand and water. Mine comes off so much easier than the whites i used to use so i do it as a habit before i start. The covers are cheap protection.... hey, but i also clean mine after use, tape handles, cover the box, and wrap wires.... just me maybe.

Dew

There is a similar thread on one of the other forums. Seems to be going around again.

If a coil cover doesn't fit snugly and I am having to constantly remove it to clean out that very fine debris that accumulates and causes trouble, I would either run some electrical tape around the seam or go without. Some find placing a small bead of silicone type sealant around the seam a good fix.

I prefer to take care of my equipment. I still have a detector I bought in 1985. Buit I have bought and sold a number of others since then as well. Take care of your equipment, it will last longer.

Depth difference with and without a coil cover. ?? I would be more concerned about proper sweep technique than having ANY concern about the thickness of a coil cover effecting my detector's ability to respond to a target.

JMO.

Rich (Utha)