Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Cover Removal

cx3

Has anyone tried removing the coil cover from the stock 10" coil, my coil cover fits so tight I have to take a dull kitchen knife and work it off, its a pain to remove. This afternoon I was going to clean the coil which meant removing the cover, so here we go with the kitchen knife again. So I decided I had had enough, I took a pair of scissors and trimmed the ring near the edge of the coil cover off except for a 2" section at the front and the rear of the coil cover, so far I think this has cured the problem, at least I can remove the coil cover without a lot of effort and I dont have to use a knife anymore. HH

Jerry Murphy

They are hard to remove but at least they do not fall off. Have cut a V in a few before to make them easier to take off. At the beach I leave them at home water and sand gets in and can cause problems.

Jason

Just put a bead of caulk around the EDGE. No water/sand to worry about ! ! !

No need to keep removing these covers.

Why do you need a cover? If you ever see how thin the coil is made, you will understand. when we swing the coil...we hit glass, nails, sharp rocks, thorns etc etc etc

Jerry

The caulk thing is what works for me. A pull stroke (with a putty knife) is all it takes to remove it when it needs replacing. Just make sure to use the siliconized acrylic latex type. Clear is what I use, but any color would work. Sand and gravel WILL tear through an expensive coil in no time!

I don't use them, ever. I have never wore out a coil or even come close. And They get a lot of use. Never saw anybody with a wore out bottom of a coil.

I never use them either, but I have a buddy who did wear out a 950 on his XLT. He mounted it loosely on the lower rod so it always made contact with the ground. It might have taken him a thousand hours to do it. Hunting on sand and rocks will greatly speed up the process though and if my main hunting was on the beach or rocky ground I probably would use one too.

I came close to wearing out a coil on a fly in fishing/gold detecting trip in Alaska. We were out for just over two weeks and I'd forgotten a coil cover for my "shooter". (Brought it back with absolutely no texture on the bottom left and a thin spot so...guess it would depend on what the makeup of the ground is.) Always have used covers (except maybe back in the 70's), It's cheap insurance and keeps the coils nice for when it's time to sell I think. Haven't done any hunting on those kind of surfaces in a long time so just using 'em for that and plus...:tongue:......my dealer gives them to you when buying a new coil or detector.

Thanks to all, for the ideas. I cut the top lip off of my cover now it comes off without too much trouble.
Thanks again,
Flapjack

I silicone seal mine but I did read a neet method to enable someone to easily remove a D2 cover. The poster put pieces of dental floss around various areas of the cover before he installed the cover to the coil. When he wanted to remove the cover he just grabed the pieces of dental floss and pulled them back to release the coil. I would guess that fishing mono or spectra line would work as well or better also. Kind of a slick idea I thought.

To all who have this problem you can easily remove the coil if you get yourself a small drum sanding bit , make sure you use a "drillpress"not a hand drll !{ small standing is nice }, if not you might have one in the your work place or maybe your neighbor. Set up the sanding bit in the drill press and carefully sand off the inside edge of the coil, work against the rotation of the press and you should have no problem and presto the coil will easily come off without doing major damage to the cover or coil there is no need to tear up the coil

That is another great idea.