Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

COIL COVER OR EPOXY??

[size=large]Ok....so tell me...what's better and why? Buying a coil cover for my DFX or covering it with Epoxy? Any suggestion/Advice?[/size]

I happen to like and use covers though some claim they're detrimental. I haven't found them so. If you swing close to and touch the ground a lot I'd think either a cover or epoxy would work. I've seen several coils that had worn through slightly that were patched successfully with epoxy. Only problem I'm aware of using a cover is if you get enough black sand or other mineral inside, it can cause problems so it's wise to clean them from time to time. My two cents.
HH
BB

I do not use my coil cover on the beach because I don't think that sand will harm the coil and the cover tends to collect sand, and that makes the machine a bit heavy and out of balance.I do use the cover when I am hunting elsewhere.

Epoxy will not adhere to the coil case too good. If you use the plastic mend type you may get it to stick. Beware! Some of the Auto Motive types have a metal content. NOT GOOD!

Sand is a lot more abrasive then some people think. It will eat your coil case.

Well thank you for that information sir, I will reinstall my cover next beach hunt, cover are much cheaper than coils for sure.

Homefires beat me to it, but i've heard of several cases where a lot of sand scrubbing on the beach wore away the bottom of the coils. If you mostly swing slightly above the sand, probably not a big worry, but I like a cover to protect against stone bumps and scratches too. I do check them for crud inside now and then to be on the safe side.
HH
BB

to my limited knowleage epoxy voids warranty and may contain tiny metallic parts that will affect the machine permanently. espesially those where coils are hardwired. pi pro and dual field are just two of them. better use cover with silicon. it is allowed by man.

There have some other posts of the same question. One guy used spray-on bed liner to coat a coil and said it didn't interfere or cause problems. It certainly looked better than epoxy.

HH, twalton

I use the spray on truck bed liner and it works fine - no falses or loss of depth. I've also used the spray on rubber-like material that's used for tool handles but it tended to wear off quickly (also peals off if you don't like it). Someone posted on the old BH board a couple of years ago that was using a urathane coating and said it worked OK. As someone said earlier, check the can label to be sure it does't have any metal.

Well the only automotive epoxy that is going to have alloys in it are the ones that are not clear. So JB Weld has ferrious and alloys in it but anything that is clear like water like most two part 5 minute Epoxy's are going to be free of any alloys. So avoid any epoxy that is not clear like water. Second Epoxy's work great at sticking to a properly preped surface. You have to scuff the surface lightly to get maximum adhession. Their is a reason that Garrett went with an Epoxy filled coil!!! Durability and water resistance. On that same note a coil cover is easy to work with and if you use some common sense and some silicone sealant you can keep these from allowing any sand into them or water and still be able to easily remove them. When I build my first coil I am going to pour epoxy right into the mold with the wires jiged in place. You have to use liberal amounts of mold release agent to seperate the jig from the epoxy. You do this before you pour the epoxy.I have made a base ball bat from epoxy and use it to make strong foundations for my rifle actions in the stock that I use. This ensures a lifetime of trouble free mounting. If someone was just wanting to protect their coil from sand abrasion even something as lame as a plastic hair protector that old ladies use before showering would help against abrasion and could be tossed at the end of the day and easily cleaned out. It is not like you guys are purposefuly banging you coil into things right? So basicly all you need is a coil condom for occasional use right?