Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coca-Cola Watch Fob (made of lead)

digger880

While hunting in a river in Virginia last week, I found a lead watch fob with embossed (2) bull dogs on the front and embossed labelling saying "The Prize Winners" Does anyone know of this fob? I'd like to get an idea of its date and whym it is lead rather than brass.
Thanks for your help, Rod McDonald (digger880).

Many Coca Cola collectors out there and may have worth. Google for info and may find a site to give you further info...Picture would be nice also as may ring a bell with a forum member...

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about a picture, but I need to read up on how to upload them on my computer from the Kingston SD. Meanwhile, I'll check out Google. Thanks again.
Rod McDonald (digger880)

I have saw a couple of these watch fobs before and they were both made of sterling silver. not sure, but I'd guess they date from the 1920's. nice find.

A google search turned up pictures of what you describe in sterling silver. Saw a date estimate of circa 1904 based on the slogan "Delicious and Refreshing" used on the back.

Thanks. I found the same Google reference, including dogs,with the caption "The Prize Winners", The slogan "Delicious and Refreshing" and 5 cents. The only thing that throws me is the lead material. It's been in the water long enough to have worn off some of the coating on which the the slogans are printed.
Rod McDonald

Did some more searching and came up with this:

"I was wondering if you could tell me the age and value of this Coca-Cola watch fob that was found in a small town in Georgia. It's made of brass, and the back reads, "Ask for a bottle of Coca-Cola, for sale everywhere."

"These ornate, sort of Art Nouveau, Coca-Cola advertising watch fobs first appeared around 1910, some with differently worded reverses. More recently, a lot of copies have popped up- yeah, I know... it's "soda-pressing"- many of them crudely cast in a pewter-like,"white metal" alloy. Obviously, it's impossible to know from a photo, but yours seems to have good, crisp detail and an honest patina. Anyway, if it's "The Real Thing," it could bring $200+. And if it's only a repro? Roughly $200 less
!"

So maybe a lead one is a reproduction. ?????

In any case, it's always fun to see what a CZ turns up in or near the water (particularly those mid-tone targets)!