Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coast Guard Lifers / Military family...

Ron J

For the last few weeks i have been searching different sights related to the U.S.Coast Guard, looking for photo's or any info relating to different vessels my father may have served on,during his almost 30 yrs in the USCG. In doing so,i came across a web sight, www.coastguardpics.com . Its full of vintage photo's,gathered together by Dick Levesque/retired Coastie. I emailed him,stating i had a few,of Winter Island,Coast Guard Station,Salem Mass.and a friend also had a collection. Well he was eager to have them,and i scanned quite a few to him. They are now posted on his sight. Whats is really great,is some of the information, Dick was able to add to some of the photo's, besides what i knew of them, such as dating them, a little better, by identifing the planes,etc. This also got me to pull out Dad's Seachest, and photo book. One item i scanned, from Dad's photo album, was an old newspaper clipping from 1950, showing a proud father,on right,showing his 17yr old son,being sworn into the USCG! Chief Harold Klemm,had 22yrs of duty at this time,as stated. What i learned from Dick, after he did some research, is that he somehow contacted John,(17 yr old in scan)and learned, he had served 30 yrs since the photo, retiring in 1980. His father, Chief Harold Klemm,served 25 yrs,retired in 1954,(passed away in 1976). There's more...Johns youngest son,did 20?,retiring an E9, his brother Frank,22 yrs in the USCG. Johns older brother did 30 yrs in the Marines,retiring as Sgt/Major, with his son,serving 24 yrs in the marines,retirng as a Major, and has nephews, currently serving in the Coast Guard! There is a proud family! RJ

one of the troops at the office where I work is reserve coastie! Nice guy!

Dave

n/t

such as his C.G.uniform jacket/skippers hat/an older blue beret,various medals,letters/cards dating to the 20's to the late 40's. Report cards for my younger brother,and i. Whats really great,is reading the letters/cards,helps dating/identifing,where he lived,or was stationed all those years. Here's a photo of Dad,in the same hat/coat in the locker,circa 1950. He would have been 100 last November 29th!He had a very interesting life of 91 years. This drawing was also in there,around 1957/58, was of his lobster boat. Signed by yours truly, RONALD .[attachment 45521 ScannedImage-3.jpg]Guess i lost my calling as an artist! :D :D Here are the medals,that were in boxes,besides the metals,that are still on his uniform,as in photo.[attachment 45524 ScannedImage-5.jpg] Here is a small bible,given to him,while in Greenland, June 5th,1944.[attachment 45525 ScannedImage-6.jpg][attachment 45527 ScannedImage-7.jpg]

.....see more dangerous duties on a more frequent basis than any other branch of the military. What do you think?

a stack of "love letters" written by my grandfather to my grandmother on my mother's side. They are so sweet and innocent, but I love having them. There are proabably about thirty or so! Back then, that was the only way to keep in contact with each other. The letters were mostly written when they only lived about 25 miles apart! :)