Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Close encounters on the back roads of South Texas.............

Kelley (Texas)

While sitting out on the patio this morning, enjoying a cup of coffee, I observed the mean spirited old fat azz squirrel that lives in the oak tree in our back yard fussing at me because I had forgotten to fill the bird bath with water. He did not shut up until I reluctantly got up and filled the bird bath with water...tried to sic the dog on that squirrel first, but the dog is too lazy to do much of anything other than eat and sleep.

As I was holding that squirrel at bay and filling the bird bath, I started reflecting back to the close encounters that I have had while riding the bike on the back roads of South Texas. It seems like when I ride that bike, things happen, sometimes bad things. Yesterday while riding up near Canyon Lake on some back road that I do not even know the name of, I observed the car two cars ahead of me hit what I thought was a small black dog. I saw the animal run into the tall grass and weeds just off the shoulder of the road. I was thinking that was someone's pet that had been hit by that car and I decided to pull over to see if it was OK. I walked through the grass and weeds, could not see it anywhere. Finally, I saw the weeds move, there it was about five feet away from me...I was in deep trouble, it was not a small dog, it was a skunk that was raising it's tail to spray me. Needless to say, I flew out of there in seconds. I do not know why the skunk did not spray me because he had me dead to rights, easy target.

I think that what I fear the most is snakes laying in the road or crossing the road in front of me. I am of the opinion that if I ran over one with the motorcycle, it would reach up and bite me, possibly taking a chunk of my flesh for a meal or something. Snakes are bad news to me, nothing good ever comes of being around a snake. One time while riding the bike, I saw a large snake laying in the road. It looked like it was dead, but then again I was of the opinion that it might be a trap or something. I stopped the bike and watched it for a few minutes and it did not move or do anything. I dismounted from the bike and threw a couple of rocks at it...big mistake! That snake was not dead and I guess I pizzed it off because it came alive and headed in my direction. I ran back about ten feet and what happened next was the beginning of a nightmare...that snake stopped by my bike. I could not throw a rock at it for risk of hitting the bike and I was not going to venture back in the weeds looking for a stick. I decided to just wait the snake out, hoping that he would just move on with his life somewhere else. After a few minutes, an old farmer and his wife stopped to see if I needed any help...after they saw the snake by the bike, they left. I could hear them laughing as they pulled away in their old pickup truck and this just added fuel to the fire. I had to wait another thirty minutes before that snake finally left and crawled across the road. I did not hang around and got out of that area as fast as I could.

Several times I have had deer run across the road in front of me. These deer just appear out of no where, no warning, and it is not a good feeling trying to keep from hitting them. A few weeks ago, I must have missed the deer by just a few feet. I never saw the deer until it was almost too late. What I have noticed is that most of the time when I encounter them, it is just before dusk. I have also made note that there is usually more than one, and they can be several hundred feet apart. Deer are nice to look at, but not on the roadways.

Other animals that I have encountered were turtles, raccoons, squirrels, a feral hog with babies, and once in a while a coyote will cross the road in front of you. Speaking about raccoons, a few weeks ago, over near Center Point, Texas, I saw a beautiful large raccoon that I would have loved to have had as a pet...perfect markings, just a beautiful animal.

I need to get my butt in gear and get the grass cut so that I can go for a ride this afternoon...always feels great to get away from this city and out on the open back roads. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Up here they are so numerous, that every week [literally] at least one gets smoked on the highway near our place. I have taken to carrying a .22 so that, if necessary, I can shoot them after they have been hit by a car. When they start thrashing around, I really do not want to use a knife on them to put them out of their misery.

Had a very interesting encounter with a snake last week. A fellow down the valley called me up and asked if I could dig his stand pipe up. He had it down 6 or 7 feet and , since it had stopped working, it had to be dug up to see why it stopped. So I hauled the little excavator up and carefully dug around the pipe until I came upon the junction. We stopped digging and got the shovels out and cleared around the base until we could remove the pipe cleanly. When we got the pipe off,and pupped it out, we found the reason it had stopped. There was a large snake jammed into the valve. UGH!!

The only way that it could have found its way in was to crawl up the overflow pipe on the cistern [located about 1500 feet from the house up a hill], drowned in that cistern, been carried down the pipe to the stand pipe. If there was one positive aspect about this, it would be that the snake went left at the y and went to the stand pipe rather that, oh say, the hot water tank. :):

Calm seas

Mikie

n/t

i would rather deal with bears! I enjoyed reading this though, anymore stories about Texas biking or ranching? How about school marms?;)
Thanks Fred:thumbup::thumbup:

Wayne

I have a friend who was once knocked off his bike while doing about 60 mph when a 20 pound wild turkey flew into him at face level! He survived with a couple of broken bones and a bad case of road rash.....the bike was totaled and the turkey was smashed!:surprised:

the odd black bears,deers,skunks,raccoons,and every few years a coyote.I saw an otter type animal last year not sure what it was but was very low when rushing across the road to get to the nearby creek..

if you were riding your Horse, the horse would warn you of a Snake, wouldn't it? Nothing like the wind in your face, with nature at its best!

when riding a horse in the brush, it is often very difficult to see a snake. The snake puts out a smell and the horse often times will smell the snake, especially a rattlesnake which will really stink. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I was about 15 years old we had been to the beach and when I got home it was right at dark, some of my friends showed up we were just sitting around BS. We were a thirsty so we all pinched in what we had in money to go get some cokes, so I got on one of my friends CL 70 Honda and another friend rode with me to hold the drinks. Well we got the drinks and was heading home doing about 40 mph on a dark back street when this big dog came out of no where and I hit him dead board side,I locked the rear brakes and tried to swerve to miss the dog, well the bike went over and landed on top of the dog I was on top of the bike siding down the rode a piece. When ever thing stopped the dog was screaming bad and my buddy riding with we was thrown off and was all eat up with rode rash. The poor dog got it bad the muffler was dead on him and burning the dog up, I got the bike off him and that dog took off. I had road rash on my feet and one leg and one hand. We went on home a but a lot slower. It took for ever for it to heal up to, like a burn with cuts. My 2 other good wrecks on a bike I went over the handle bars and was air born, I guess I was leaning enough that is why I didn't go over the handle bars, it was a blessing that night not to get hurt bad. Plus learned shorts and slaps are not for bike riding.

snow going on out there right now. Winter sucks :(

I might go to the beach and see want mom's are out there tanning while there kids are in school. I sure like being single.:devil:

deer, turkeys on the back roads. I try to always be on the lookout but still, on those narrow back roads with high banks on either side, you will get a deer or turkey launch off it right in front of you. I don't need a lap dance from a deer.

Check this guys close call out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn8LnjqjgHo

George-CT

I hear tell that If you are quick and grab them by their tails, they can not spray you. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

a dog cause me problems one time when I was a teenager after I had ridden a horse to the local Dairy Queen. The dog thought it was going to take a chunk out of the hide of the horse that I was riding, but the horse kicked the dog. The dog started yelping and blood came out of it's nose for a few minutes, but then seem to be OK. The owner of the dog got angry with me and told me that I would be responsible for any vet bills for the dog. He was not a big man and I think that I probably could have whipped his azz, but he was an adult and I showed respect to him...it was his lucky day and he did not know it. I gave him my name and phone number, then went down to Leon Creek and ate my hamburger. We never heard from him. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I used to ride 30 miles to work every day on a nice touring bike w/full faring to help with cold weather. Two very close encounters in as many days convinced me to hang up my biking spurs.

I put it up for sale. I got calls from a couple of interested buyers in the next couple of days. On the 3rd day I found it was stolen from my driveway.

The fork lock was broken (the only thing wrong with the bike) and I had forgotten to chain it as I usually did each night.

Of course I reported the theft and expected never to hear of it again. A couple of weeks later I had a message from the West Palm Beach Police Dept. (I live in Connecticut) When I returned the call I found out that my bike had been totaled when the person riding it hit a car broadside.

I asked the officer if the rider was hurt (I was at least hoping for a few bruises), but he said that it didn't appear so. The rider, a young white male, had gotten up, brushed himself of and run off through the brush and escaped.

The wrecking company accepted the title to cover storage and was grateful I wasn't the one riding it that day.

Another of life's many lessons,

Cupajo