Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning Coins

I know you arent supposed to clean coins that you think may be valuable but I have question for anyone that may be able to answer it. I live in Mooresville, N.C. Here, our dirt is pretty much just "tarheel mudd".. which is orange thick mud or 'dirt'. Some coins that I find, I cant' even tell what they are bc they are so filthy. What is a simple way to clean them just enuff to be able to tell the date and the kind of coin? I've tried hot water, but that doesnt seem to help too much, but then again, I don't want to damage a coin that could be valuable, just trying to get it clean enough to identify. Thanks.

soaking in oil...ketchup....white vinager....not all at the same time. never rub a coin...just soak then rinse........try it out on some dirty clad to see what kind of results you will get.....i heard oil baths are used alot though.

Lemon Juice and Baking soda on copper and clad coinage works well...As stated before though, test it out on some junk clad first...Olive oil baths are also popular...Most of the time, I use a soft toothbrush and dish soap on old clad...I have not found anything significantly OLD, so I have no experience in cleaning these items...Just do NOT use anything corrosive or with dyes...

HH,

BH-LandStar

i just heard this is being used. for silver jewelry toothpaste works really well and it leaves the piece minty fresh :biggrin: