Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning coins / jewelry?

Weekendwarrior

I have heard of using vinegar and salt, hydrogen peroxide, a tumbler and vibrator/tumbler with resin chips. I ordered a vibrator/tumbler from harbor freight just to find out it is on back order for another month and a half. Would I be able to use it to clean jewelry as well or is it strictly used for coins & other metals? Should I cancel my order and just get a cylinder tumbler? All advice is greatly appreciated...

I would never clean jewelry in a tumbler.
Likely lose some of the stones out of there setting.
Tumblers are good for coins but do the pennies separate from the silver otherwise you'll get brown silver.
If the coin is a valuable one do not insert in the tumbler clean it very delicately.
For coins I use aquarium gravel 1|3 and dishwasher soap( tablespoon) 1\3 water 1\3 coins rotated for a few hours ,rinse and voila like new coins,
The variation of quantity for the tumbler quantity is up to your discretion one you know what your preference is. Figures are a starting guide!!

I tried vinegar and salt, it works, but what a mess, it leaves a film on the coins and turns them dark yellow, which is very hard to get off. A tumbler and soapy water works best for me. As Joel said never put jewelry or old valuble coins in a tumbler. I understand that old coins should be cleaned in a special way as not to damage their value. Good luck, Gene