Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning coins and finds

NWMOhunter

I'm trying to find the best way to clean coins and other things I've found while THing. In the pics you guys post up here, all the coins look dang good. I don't think I've yet to have a coin come up looking that good. I typically just clean them with water, maybe dish soap and a toothbrush.

Are there any tricks?

If it's new coinage your talking about, a rock tumbler, fish tank gravel and some dish detergent, and about 8-10 hours of tumbling, seems to do a pretty good job, of coarse if they are old coinage, I'd never do this, first off, silver coins will come out of the ground as shinny as when lost, as far as old nickels, I've never found a good way of cleaning them, old IH's and wheats, clean as good as you can by hand.

Most all of what I find is new coinage. I have a bunch of pennies that could use a good cleaning. Guess I'll have to look into a rock tumbler. Is there any info out there on making your own.

After 4-1/2 years of detecting, I had a bunch of pennies and clad coins. When the local paper did a story about metal detecting, I took the coins to a local feed store's certified scales. It came to 82 pounds of coins that had been washed and dried.

I had talked to my bank of 31 years, and they had agreed to let me use their lobby coin counter.... We started with the pennies, but due to them being stored in plastic ziplock bags, the fine dust from the otherwise clean pennies stopped the electric counter. You would have thought the head cashier acted as if the pennies were taken from the sewer by the way she splayed her fingers when raking them...

With the newspaper report coming in the next few minutes, the Head Cashier agreed to count the clad silver coins in the bank's old machanical counter. Twenty minutes later she called me over with a list of how much and how many nickels, dimes and quarters there were. The silver totaled $849.20. At which time she pushed the bag of coins back to me and said she would not take them because they were "NULL" coins...or coins that had turned dark.... I was about one twitch away from calling one of the Dallas TV stations as I was "Handed my Hat" and she disappeared back in her official office...

After cooling down, I realized that the coin counter machines at the grocery stores would charge me 9%-10% which was like giving away $85!!!!
So, I go to Home Depot and buy a small roll hail screen, two large plastic storage containers and a 50lb bag of playground sand. I came home and poured the sand in my old cement mixer and the $850 of clad coins. Running it for about an hour,dry, seemed to buff the coins, but not much. I added water and let it run for an hour, but the coins picked up the iron in the sand and the coins had a golden tinge. So...I added two cups of "Cheer" cloth washing detergent. In two hours, the coins were shiny. The bank took the coins the next day....

Somehow, I really don't think that the U.S. Mint ever wanted their coins tumbled in a cement mixer, but then I never thought a major State Bank would refuse to take coins just because they had turned dark...

Bill

That is a neat story, Bill! I wish I had a spare concrete mixer laying around! But then again I don't have 82 pounds of coins either!

I have tried different ways to clean my coin I want to put back in circulation and found a way that works good for me. The copper has to be separate from the clad when you tumble them. You can get a rock tumbler at Harbor Freight for around $20 and get a bag of aquarium gravel at Wallmart or a place that has it. I use the gravel with water and some "Real Lemon Juice" I get at Sam's club for $5.25 for 2 of the 1.5 quart bottles. The copper I can tumble for about a hour while the clad I will go 2 hours then take out the clean one and put the gravel back in with the clad, some water and now I will put in some Lime Away or any other lime cleaner and tumble about a hour, rinse and tumble again with some lemon juice to wash off the lime away.

Most will look as good as new while some even better and you alway have a few that may still be a little dark looking or red.
Here is a picture of the clad before cleaning.[attachment 56464 clad.jpg]

Here is the same coins after tumbling for several hour and before I learn about Lime away which works beter and quicker too.
[attachment 56465 clad2.jpg]

Here is the copper after 1 hour.
[attachment 56466 pennies.jpg]

I also use a tumbler, mine from Harbor Freight was closer to $30 but it's still way cheaper than what you can find even on eBay. I'm still working on getting the "formula" just right, but here's what I've found so far:

Absolutely separate the clad (nickels, dimes, quarters) from the pennies, otherwise your clad will pick up a golden sheen from the pennies. For clad I put about a fistfull of coins (not too many or they won't have room to tumble) in the tumble drum, add aquarium gravel (for clad I use the slightly larger white gravel from Walmart) up to about 3" from the top of the tub, then add about two tablespoons of clean sand. Top if off with a squirt of Dawn or other dishwashing detergent (about a tablespoon) then add water to cover the whole mix by about 1/4". After you put the top on the tub give it a few rolling shakes to mix everything up, then tumble on the machine for 10-12 hours. I know this sounds like a long time, but these rock tumblers are made to run for days on end. I'll usually start mine in the evening and let it go overnight.
After 10-12 hours I turn off the machine, pour the tub into a kitchen strainer (not down the sink or you'll need a plumber soon because of the sand and any gravel that misses), and wash everything off. I made another strainer out of 1/4" wire mesh, I set this strainer in a cookie sheet and pour the cleaned gravel/coins in this. A few shakes leaves me with coins in the strainer and wet gravel on the cookie sheet, the coins go on paper towels to dry and the gravel goes in the oven on "warm" for 5 minutes to get it drying for reuse.
For pennies I do the same thing except I use the small blue gravel, no sand at all, and I add a teaspoon of cream of tarter. The cream of tarter acts as a chemical cleaner for brass and copper. I usually run pennies for only 6 hours before checking them, they might need to go longer but usually it only takes 8 hours or so at the most. Strain, rinse and everything else just like the clad.

What I like about this system is that the gravel is cheap and everything else is in the cupboards or around most homes. Personally I don't want to use a lot of chemicals to clean the coins and I don't want to spend a lot of money on specialty tumbling media or mixes. All it takes is time and a little effort.

I've had mixed results so far. Sometimes the clad coins come out clean as a whistle, you can't tell the difference between a tumbled coin and one from your pocket. Sometimes the sand blasts them to a dull shine. There are always half a dozen coins that just don't come clean, and I put them aside for another go with the next batch. Some coins don't come clean no matter what. You can either save coins up to turn in at the bank or use them in vending machines for stamps, snacks, whatever.
The pennies are usually VERY clean and shiny, especially the ones from the 70's. I don't know why. Of course the zinc pennies ('82 and later) will usually have pits from corrosion depending on the soil condition you pulled them from, if they look like they'll go through a counting machine I put them in a butter tub. The older copper pennies I put in a mason jar and don't know what I'm going to do with them yet. I was hoping to sell them as scrap since copper scrap is $3/pound now, but I heard it's illegal to sell US coinage as scrap. I'm just going to hoard them until I figure out what to do with them.

Of course follow all manufacturer's instructions on the tumbler, keep the kids and pets away from it's moving parts and experiment for yourself to find what works best. DON'T tumble wheat pennies, coins of any value higher than face value, or silver. If you come up with a foolproof formula let me know, I'm not too keen on using a lot of chemicals and stuff that I have to worry about.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Before tyring to give banks a bad name ...

Let me point something out.

First, you said "due to them being stored in plastic ziplock bags, the fine dust from the otherwise clean pennies stopped the electric counter. This leads to a question, are you ready to "pay for the damages" dirty coins can cause to a coin counting machine. Those machines are not cheap ... actually somewhat expensive.

Now, another question - do other bank customers like to receive dark colored money? Or do they prefer the shiny coins? Trust me on this - customers want the shiny coins.

If the bank were to hand you the "cash" for those coins what is the bank going to do with all of those coins. Their customer's don't want them. They have to pay to haul them back to the fed.

What most people do not realize is that it costs a good amount of money for banks to have coins and cash let alone picked up and taken back. Banks do not get their money directly from the Fed. but have to contract out with a company who under takes this business of delivering cash/coins to banks. These companies are not cheap ... that ~10% that coin counter was going to take represents a real cost. It might not cost the bank 10% but it does cost - labor costs to deal with the coins inside the bank and freight.

WOW!!! Looks like I need to invest in a tumbler then!

Harbor Freight has one for $30 plus like $8 shipping. Cheaper than eBay which I think is a first, but I'll save money whenever I can.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I have one of the single tub Harbor Freight tumblers, and it eats the rubber belts; I broke both of mine that came with the tumbler, so you'll want to look into getting a Hoover vacuum belt or something stronger that the rubber belts on the Harbor Freight tumblers, in MHO. I use the tumbler with a little dishwasher soap and sometimes a little baking soda. Caution: if you use baking soda, the gases will expand the rubber tub and make it scrape its bottom against the partition from the motor, building enough friction to break the belt. The lemon juice and lime away might be better ingredients, but I haven't used them yet. I also wonder what a few drops of bleach would do for the darker coins. i only go for one hour when I use baking soda due the gas buildup problem. Good luck and HH. :)

I have found that using electrolysis on silver coins works really well if the coin is in really bad condition. The setup is really simple and easy to do. You take a regular phone charger with a nine volt battery and cut the leads off one end. You then take a small bowl and put just enough water to cover the object. You then take a stainless steal bolt and attach one wire to the bolt and the other to the item you want cleaned. You then put salt into the water and stir it so that its mixed well. You then drop both leads into the water and plug it into the wall outlet. If the bolt starts to fizz then switch the wires until the object you want cleaned begins to fizz. The coin may turn black at first due to the cleaning and the wires. You then use Mothers Wheel polish and rub the coin several times over and over. The coin will look like new! You may not want to do this with all your silver coins, but the technique is recommended on coins that you can't read or want to clean. You may have to clean the coin for several hours depending on its condition. I hope this helps.

Rings and anything with patterns of some depth really should only be given an ultrasonic clean as it will do no damage.
Electrolysis can damage items in only a few minutes so don't walk away or answer the phone.
For silver you can't beat a bit of silver foil. Spit on it, or the coin, fold the foil over to enclose the coin then rub gently between finger and thumb. You will smell the gas as the chemical reaction starts and feel the foil getting hotter. Stop rubbing every half minute or so and see what progress has been made. Warning it takes very little time.
To bring up dates/detail a hard rubber works well. They are dark grey in the U.K., I don't know if there the same on your patch. They remove the dirt and polish the highlights up without scratching or pitting the surface.
For tumbled coins I finish off with sand which gives a finer finish. If its coins to be kept, the insulation pellets used in roof spaces can be used to bring up a really good finish. Then allow to sit exposed to air for as long as possible to dull down the freshly polished look that the coin dealers dislike so much.

All my coins found while MD'ing. I first brush them under running water with a toothbrush, to remove as much residue as possible. My bank (Wells Fargo) gives me free, a coin coin bag (plastic), in which there is a place to write my count of total coin value, then seal the bag, tear off the top of it as a receipt, the bag has a number, and will hold up to 3,000 coins. I take it to the bank, they send it to the local treasury department to verify the amount. Then on-line deposit the amount into my bank account. Only problem is they charge $3.00 per 1,000 coins. ALSO: I first check all coins for possible more value, with the Whitman U.S. Coin book. Jjohnelson@AOL.COM