Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:clapping: CAN THE "MXT SPORT" BE USED IN SALT H2O?:clapping:

OldCapeCodder

I am told older models had many problems but the issues were resolved. How does the current MXT SPORT do in salt water ?
90 % of my detecting is wading in the ocean

I haven't tried mine in salt water so I can't really say one way or the other.

If you visit Whites forums there's a good post (from deolslyfox) about the Sport and his experience using it in salt water. As I recall he said it will work but the sensitivity had to be turned down.

I'm a fan of Whites but probably wouldn't choose the Sport if I did 90% of my hunting in salt water. I'd look at the BH 300 (no longer in production, but you can find dealers -forum sponsors- who have one in stock) if the ability to discriminate trash is important. Were I a dig it all person who did 90% of my hunting in salt water, I'd look at PI machines (Whites SurfMaster DF or Tesoro Sand Shark would be the two I'd really look at).

As far as costs go, I believe the Tesoro Sand Shark is less money than the MX Sport. I think the BH 300 and the SurfMaster DF would be roughly $100 more than the MX Sport. Call the forum sponsors to find their best price.

I have used mine some in shallow salt water. I had to turn the sensitivity down to 3 due to overload from the water but the machine runs hot anyway, so you will still find stuff at fair depth. I found a 3 oz pyramid sinker two scoops deep in about a foot of water. I do not have the very latest update yet. I do not know if anything in the beach program has changed with the update. It works good on the beach. I wouldn't buy one if all my hunting was going to be in salt water. I think there are better choices for that kind of hunting.

Yes you can
It should be good around salt water if you have a newer model.
My one wouldn't stay stable above 7 in the salt.

Are you in Cape Cod?
I'm a former resident - Harwichport - 400 Club....

Desi D

Old Cape, until you get used to it try not to run the sensitivity much above 5 or 6 epsecially in more mineralized soil. I made the mistake of running it as hot as I run my MX5 when I first got mine. Salt water 4-5 is about all you can go.

As far as I know all the current models have the updates. Mine way purchased in April 2016 and has gone in for the firmware update. Detector runs great and is very sensitive with great seperation and deep. I've dug BBs at 7 to 8 inches with a strong tone. 22 bullets also at 8 to 9 inches, lead sounded like a good target and a good ID I just had to dig them.