Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Clad Coins.. What to do..

Isign4Him

HI all and God Bless!

I recently started detecting.. and I ran into a problem my bank wont take my clads that are discolored .. does anyone have any info on what to do with them ?

all responses appreciated
In Christ

I used to roll them and turn them in. I didn't offer any information on their look or where they came form. They didn't ask, I didn't tell. I now have a bank that has a free coin machine. I run them through there. All except the pennies that are in real bad shape. What is bad shape to me, less than 51%. I say roll them, go to a different branch where you didn't let the cat out of the bag and turn them in. Don't use coin star, it just jams them up. The coin machine at my bank is a big industrial one like a Binford 3000. It pretty well lets anything through.

One choice is to use them in vending machines or as pocket change. Just wash them a little, as needed, and spend 'em. Thats the way I used to do it.

Then I decided that I REALLY wanted to hoard them all, wringing my hands over them like some old miserly hermit.

SO, now I tumble them in a rock tumbler. They come out nice and clean... after all, what avaricious Scrooge wants dirty coins?!

I got my tumbler for $11 on ebay. I put in a cup of aquarium gravel, some Mr Clean, dishsoap or whatever, and let 'em go! I like the sound of the thing running and then rolling the coins afterwards - awhitster thinks Im crazy.

Different strokes.

[quote DavHut] - awhitster thinks Im crazy.

Different strokes.[/quote]
And once again.......

[size=large]BEFORE Cleaning[/size]
[attachment 61762 ScreenHunter_010.jpg]

[size=large]AFTER Cleaning :rofl:[/size]
[attachment 61763 ScreenHunter_010.jpg]

[quote awhitster] All except the pennies that are in real bad shape. What is bad shape to me, less than 51%. I say roll them, go to a different branch where you didn't let the cat out of the bag and turn them in.[/quote]

If the Bank catches on to this they may think of it as being a little underhanded...:sick:

I would only cash in the better coins, that is the right thing to do.:thumbup: A guy just has to consider the bad and corroded Zincs a loss when there in that bad of shape,:wacko: heck you had fun finding them, so there worth something even if you toss them.:clapping:

Take Care,:)
Bill G

[quote Bill G][quote awhitster] All except the pennies that are in real bad shape. What is bad shape to me, less than 51%. I say roll them, go to a different branch where you didn't let the cat out of the bag and turn them in.[/quote]

If the Bank catches on to this they may think of it as being a little underhanded...:sick:

Bill G[/quote]Hold on there cowboy. This is taken straight from the US Mint website.

Mutilated Coins: United States Coins no longer fit for circulation are classified as "uncurrent" or mutilated.

Uncurrent coins are coins that are worn yet recognizable as to genuineness and denomination, and are machine countable. Uncurrent coins are redeemed by the Federal Reserve Banks, then forwarded to the Mint for disposition.

Mutilated coins are coins that are chipped, fused and not machine countable. Mutilated coins are only redeemable through the United States Philadelphia Mint facility.
All uncurrent or mutilated coins received by the Mint are melted and reused in the manufacture of coinage strips.

So, if I take them to my bank and they go through the machine, IE, machine countable, I have fulfilled the US mints obligation. End of story.

[quote junklord3139]The U.S. Mint will take and replace them,but I don't know how many you need to send in .[/quote]Probably US mail, UPS, Fed Ex or something like that. Wouldn't be worth the cost from the left coast.

A MDing acquaintance told me that he puts all the pennies he finds in rolls of 50, no matter what shape they're in. He first cleans them a little and that's it.
On each roll he writes the word "DISCOLORED" and also puts some X's on the roll. He said his bank has never refused to accept them. Banks will give you all the coin rolls you need.

All the best

Cliffhanger

I've tumbled mine for years but then the volcanic soil up here turns coins into unrecognizeable globs of metal.

Bill

I don't think they had you in mind or knew you might be lurking out there when that ruling was laid down or it would have been worded much differently. :rofl:

Bill

[quote Uncle Willy]I don't think they had you in mind or knew you might be lurking out there when that ruling was laid down or it would have been worded much differently. :rofl:

Bill[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl:

Bill G :cheers:

[quote Bill G][quote Uncle Willy]I don't think they had you in mind or knew you might be lurking out there when that ruling was laid down or it would have been worded much differently. :rofl:

Bill[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl:

Bill G :cheers:[/quote]I say catch me if you can...........heck, it's only the government.............:devil: