Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War Lead Breastplate - how should I clean it?

EZdiggins

I found a Civil War breast plate today with my new metal detector (White's DFX). I can make out an eagle clasping 3 arrows with it's right talon. It appears to have iron rust deposits on the front. The two loops on the back were rusted off and the front is very corroded. It is obviously lead, so I'm afraid to scrub it very hard. Any suggestions on how to clean it? I will try to get a picture posted soon (I don't have my camera with me today). EZ

First of all, congrats, EZ! Very nice find.

Second, what state are you in? I only ask because the soil can make a difference in cleaning. But without knowing, please do not put water on this piece yet. Yes, we wash our hands, cars, dog with water. But in this case we can actually deteriorate the patina provided there is any remaining (and that depends on -- you guessed it -- the type of soil).

For now, take a toothpick and pick the clay/dirt/sand away from the face. Be more careful when picking at the lead back as this could actually flake a chunk off if, there again, the soil was harsh to it.

But by all means, when someone asks how to clean brass I will never recommend water until I see what kind of soil we've been sitting in for the past 145 or more years. It makes a tremendous difference. Soft, loamy soil of the coast -- water's usually fine. Virginia, Atlanta clay? Never on accoutrement brass.

True, this a humble opinion. But it's based on a preference of staying away from "ground burn," which water, ammonia and other liquids so readily contribute.

Richard

EZ, until you've had a lot of experience, don't do anything other than what GG suggested; soft toothbrush and mild soapy water. Most likely you have a standard breast plate; brass face that has patinated, lead fill back with iron loops (rusted). This rust creates problems by expanding mineral salts within the iron. This pressure ruptures the thin brass face and causes cracking and discoloration. Over cleaning of any type won't help, just reduce collector value. It is acceptable to use water for cleaning as this will not reduce or remove the natural patina. Nice find, David@Dixie

I have used virgin olive oil on the two that I have dug. It really enhances the greenish patina from the brass. I have had mine for several years now and they still look great. I let them sit in the olive oil for 24 to 48 hours and then light brush with cotton cloth.

EZ, your plate has been in some highly oxidized soil, maybe crop fields at one time? Here's the scoop: the green color indicates brass. It's caused by the copper leaching to the surface of the brass metal. This can be removed and most likely so can the cream colored oxidation. However, you won't enhance the detail, and might yield severe pitting as this type of oxidation tends to "eat" into the metal leaving bad pitting. It you want it cleaned up, have it done by someone that knows exactly what they're doing. Otherwise, I would use Blue Ribbon coin conditioner on it. Oil's are OK, but eventually harden to a discolored film that is difficult to remove. And, they can be absorbed my many types of backing material you might have in a display frame. Oil can help somewhat with the detail enhancement but consider the end result. Leave the back alone. Soaking in a warm 3% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide will fizz off a lot of the crud, but it must be done in a well ventilated area (not in the house) and by someone that knows when to stop. Good find, David@Dixie

Suggestion use a dremmel moto tool at low speed with a brass wire brush.Do not use a steel wire brush as it will gouge.Go over the entire surface and the light brass brush should remove a lot of the scale while still keeping and enhancing the details of the eagle.Afterwards polish with some good car wax,It may not make the unit look new but will dramatically improve what you have.