Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War Boot Pistol and Artillery Canister Shot

Dman

We, Vol1266-X and I, went back to our old stand-by Union Camp for the 9th (one day last week) and 10th (today) time. We have found over 200 relics at this site and it still keeps producing. I found a Civil War boot pistol today, plus several pieces of artillery canister shot. I found a piece of rectangular canister shot, which is unusual. I found a couple of fired .58 caliber bullets and one nice dropped .69 caliber bullet. I found parts off a sword hanger, and some other odds and end pieces. The boot pistol was found at about 6 inches deep and produced a strong iron signal. Can someone tell me the best way to clean up the pistol? Thanks for looking.
Dman

Nice finds Dman!! ...Here is a black powder pistol I found several yrs ago near Chancellorsville VA. It has an octagonal barrel....I have never cleaned it ...yet...If anyone can identify the make or model by this pic ,,,,pls let me know

dman,

I just saw your post today with the boot pistol. What a great find! I would clean it with some low voltage electolysis using zinc as the annode. You can buy zinc at a chrome plating shop or buy a used sacrificial anode from a boat dealer. If there is a lot of iron left, you can use more voltage but I'd check it a couple of times a day.

baleniM

Hi gxray,
The pistol you found is a pistol that was made in Belgium between 1790 and 1820. I also found one but I found mine in Ohio. It has the Belgium stamp on
it and a English stamp on it. It is solid brass.

If you would like, I could send a picture of it.

Best Regards,
Dennis Morrison
Ringfinder

The rectangular cannister shot Could be from a Blakely shell--However there was only 1 blakely battery in the Union forces.