Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

City Park Blues

hopandhisace

OK guys I was at a local city park the other day for a little coinhunting, when suddenly a golf cart pulled up (Maint. guy I guess) and asked me to leave because that was not allowed in the park, I was under the impression that all city parks are fair game for us detectorists, obviously not. could I fight this or do I even have a leg to stand on? please reply because I would love to go back, the park was built in early 1900's

You need to go to the local Parks Department and ask to see IN WRITING the rule that says you can't detect. Don't just take a verbal answer. It was good to leave but check it out.

I'm just getting back into the sport, but the town I lived in when I had my last detector I worked as a police officer. I checked all the city ordinances before I went out and nothing said I couldn't do it. I never had anyone confront me.

My guess would be that the only problem would be the "digging". If there is any question maybe you could show the guy the "right way" to do it and prove you aren't going to hurt anything.

The digging part is something alot of people don't like they think you will leave the holes unfilled . I have detected on some great parks that were good sites but have been told to leave many times because of by laws. parks are now almost considered no go area's here in the uk as far as metal detecting goes.

Yeah the park flunky was probaly just trying to exercise his ten cents worth of authority. Have run into a few like that.

Bill

I had a guy at the local airport give me the Petty Nazi Jig once too. "You cant do that cause I say so..."

I just diverted his attention after letting him go on for a bit and then talked to him a little. Eventually he came around and we had nice convo. In the end, all he wanted was someone to listen. Now I have the run of the place.

This may not work with everyone, but its worth a try.

thanks for all the info guys, this is why we need forums like this, and thank you Garrett for making such awesome machines for us to use, and now guess what it's off to some more parks, wish me luck!!

[attachment 57058 ImprovedPullers.jpg]Make this tool, pull stuff out of the ground without digging a plug. Made from an 8" bread knife (not a knife with a long tapered point). Easy to make with a Dremel tool and metal cutting discs. The points are 1" apart. To use the tool, stick it straight down and pull toward you and up. Hooks onto pulltabs, rings, coins, some foil, bottle caps, shredded metal, batteries, stones, etc. Needs accurate pinpointing, makes a slit or two or three in the ground, stuff comes out easy. Works best in soft or moist soil. Works great in wood chips, pulls out a whole lot of chips all at once along with the target without accurate pinpointing. Original and two improved knives with beefed-up handles shown. Jabbo