Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cibola! You don't need to spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

stevecoleccs

Got my Cibola today! After briefly testing the Cibola side by side with the MXT - (yea I know the MXT is a diff machine) ...but in my test garden both machines found most of the coins, but the Cibola found all of the coins & the Cibola found all of the coins with a sharp, clear, clean signal! I was able to work & "move" the Cibola better & faster because of the lightness of the machine & with out all dog & pony show knobs. (Which I clearly understand what all the knobs do) I also tested the Tejon as well, sweet detector, but the Cibola found everything the Tejon found without having to mess around a Manual GB knob. The Cibola is a simple, clean, deep running machine that finds the stuff better than other detectors at more than twice the price! I also purchased an 5.75 coil which is great, I'm mostly a coin guy & will be leaving this coil on!

No more "dog & pony show" machines for me!

All the above is of course IMHO! or should I say IMHO (in my happy opinion)!

Looking forward to posting finds in the near future.

I have an MXT and find it to be a very capable detector - that is a very HEAVY, SOMEWHAT AWKWARD detector, but capable. I also have 5 different Tesoro models and their lighter weight and handling characteristics make them much more fun to use, especially if swinging during a long hunt. Two of my Tesoros have manual ground balance and the MXT has auto ground balance. The ground balance feature is the biggest single reason I have the two manual GB Tesoros and the prospecting mode is the main reason I have the MXT although I haven't done much prospecting at this point. That leaves 3 preset GB Tesoros and as most of the parks etc. I hunt have mild ground, I've done quite well with them. Unless a person hunts difficult soil regularly, the simpler preset machines can do the job and I use mine the majority of the time. I think you will do very well with the Cibola.
HH
BB

I would find it interesting if you tried your test with a Compadre, you might find you spent too much money even for the Cibola... LOL (no actually, really)

i agree with pulltab, i think the silver umax with a 9x8 coil would give it a run for the money. i just bought a new cibola at the end of april and if you look in the classifieds it is for sale. i didn't think it was much better than the silver umax personally. maybe a tad bit more depth but i seem to like the way the silver operates better. the cibola is a good machine and has a few more features than the silver umax, but it wasn't that much better in my opinion.............roger

I don't do this often but here it goes again.

All Tesoros fitted with the same (or very simular coils) get the same depth. The Silver uMax with the larger concentric coils can match or exceed any other Tesoro model. I've known this for years. In fact this is true of most brands and models made today not just Tesoro.

I've been into the hobby since the mid 60's and have used the Explorers, Garretts, Whites, etc., and it's the same old game since the 60's. Keep em buying with some fabulous "new" discovery.

But as for ground balance, believe it or not there are times when ground balance does matter. How much does it matter? Usually less than an inch but sometimes a lot more (rare).

Monte and the others here who know how to read and write know VLF technology long ago reached it's peak. Since then it's been to one degree or another a baloney game.

Okay, satisfied? Please don't spread this cause it screws up detector sales.

You're right but you'll never ever never convince those who choose not to be convinced..."Convince a man against his will he's of the same opinion still."

Now back to our wonderful world of pretend. Did I tell you about the dime I dug at 22 inches?

--kid

bayoukid said:
All Tesoros fitted with the same (or very simular coils) get the same depth. The Silver uMax with the larger concentric coils can match or exceed any other Tesoro model.

with respect "
yep Ive read it over an over again , but I aint a believer ! owning both a Tejon and a Silver Umax I know for a fact that my Tejon gets a few inchs on the Silver using the same size coil 9x8 concentric . Ok so get the big 12" concentric on the Silver and yeah it then probly matchs the Tejon with its stock 9" .....but arm the Tejon with the 12" and ya smokin the Silver as norm

trueblue said:
bayoukid said:
All Tesoros fitted with the same (or very simular coils) get the same depth. The Silver uMax with the larger concentric coils can match or exceed any other Tesoro model.

with respect "
yep Ive read it over an over again , but I aint a believer ! owning both a Tejon and a Silver Umax I know for a fact that my Tejon gets a few inchs on the Silver using the same size coil 9x8 concentric . Ok so get the big 12" concentric on the Silver and yeah it then probly matchs the Tejon with its stock 9" .....but arm the Tejon with the 12" and ya smokin the Silver as norm

Ya got me on that one.

The Silver either by accident or on purpose doesn't match up well to the 8x9 coil.

The Silver uMax works better with the stock 8" coil than it does with the 8x9 uMax coil. Maybe this was so people wouldn't compare it to the Deleon or Cortes?

The Silver gains 3-4 inches over the stock coil with the 10x12.

I've conpared the Silver uMax with 10x12 up against my beloved Tejon and it will beat the Tejon in most soils. I'm talking about real world detecting not coin garden tests.

It's not so much the detector as the coil. The 10x12 concentric is an excellent uMax coil. No, it's the best uMax coil.

Many of us have tried hard to get Jack to make a 10x12 concentric for the Tejon but he won't. Personally I'm not for DDs at all. I don't agree with those who say the DD works better in high mineral soils. And the story the DD has a bowl shaped signal and the concentric has a more V shaped signal is highly debatable. I've found the main difference is the concentric is deeper and pinpoints better.

I personally believe the same basic transmitter is in all Tesoros (true with other brands too). The major thing isn't the transmitter power or receiver weakness--but the coil to electronics match. The 8x9 isn't matched well to the Silver uMax (in my opinion).

Nautilus long ago understood the importance of coil to electronics match. Or, balancing the coil to the transmitter/receiver.

Have someone get inside the Silver and properily balance it to the 8x9 and you may have a factory preset Tejon.

For whatever.

--kid

recently I tried to import a new VLF auto ground balance machine out of China. The machine comes with an 8" coil or a 12" coil (both concentric).

I asked the exporter to just send me some 12" coils and he refused. The reason being each coil must be matched to the individual machine or a lot of depth may be lost.

Thus you have your "hot machines" and those that just aren't deep.

I'm not a Nautilus fan but those engineers weren't stupid when they designed the Nautilus coil balance machine.

Nuff said.

--kid

I recently learned the whole coil vs detector issue partly from reading a lot of posts on the forums. After you realize its not the detector, you realize most of the posts make a lot of sense if you simply compare the coils. I've read a bunch of posts saying the ACE is harder to pinpoint, well yeah, the coil is elliptical, you could expect the same from any detector with an elliptical coil. I also read that the Compadre with default settings does better than a lot of other detectors using their stock coils on fine gold. Well yeah, it has the smallest stock coil size which are better for smaller targets. The list of examples are endless, like the depth of the F75, well yeah, it has one of the biggest stock coils, it should go deep. The difference between detectors might be there, but its a relatively small difference compared to the difference between coils.

Personally, I like to get ones that give up the information more readily, and that are easy to use. If I need to change performance, change coils, not detectors. I do like that many newer detectors suck very little battery power though.

Actually, the Compadre is better on fine gold because it is a true 180 disc. I understand that and the fact that you can adjust it closer to iron than my Silver umax. I just got tired of digging the hairpins, nails, and decided that I was more interested in coins and the larger size gold. I would really like a Compadre but I'll have to wait for better times. But since we're talking about the real world, there;'s tons junk to dig up with the Compadre set that way.

bayoukid said:
Ya got me on that one.

I reckon I got ya on this one aswell :biggrin:

bayoukid said:
There's no way a factory set machine can compare to a ground balance machine when it comes to depth.

thats your own quote takin from your : Am I wise to trade off my Tejon? POST http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,955858,page=1

going on your quote the Silver umax will NEVER get compartitable depth to a Tejon or any other manual GB Machine

the Silver is a good detector but its no Tejon

trueblue said:
bayoukid said:
Ya got me on that one.

I reckon I got ya on this one aswell :biggrin:

bayoukid said:
There's no way a factory set machine can compare to a ground balance machine when it comes to depth.

thats your own quote takin from your : Am I wise to trade off my Tejon? POST http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,955858,page=1

going on your quote the Silver umax will NEVER get compartitable depth to a Tejon or any other manual GB Machine

the Silver is a good detector but its no Tejon

Wow! nice to know somebody cares enough to watch me this closely. :thumbup:

I think I was refering to machines with the same size and type of coils.

There's a lot to say for context.

Oh well, I use mostly the Tejon anyway.

Now go spend the next 3 hours checking on this :clapping:

--kid

I have been advised by a tech I respect that their is a difference between the different Tesoro units.
Transmit, Receive, and filter circuitry will be different, in addition to other apparent functions.

Tesoro machines are just a pleasure to use!

rmptr

I started using a cibola at the beginning of april. Overall I am impressed with its abilities to find canadian clad that a lot of other detectors seem to dislike. i have had no amazingly deep coin finds that I read so much about. My deepest coins came out of my backyard which were a silver dime and a wheat cent which were both at the 4-5 inch depth "supertuned". Both coins gave a signal so weak and iffy that in the field I probably wouldn't have dug them. Most coins I have found are in the 1-3 inch range. Here in central canada the mineralization is almost none so that cant be the factor. Maybe I haven't come across any deep coins yet? The cibola does seem to have a love for rusted tin that wont discriminate out. I also noticed that it doesn't pick up on tiny objects like my Ace 150 did. Would that 5.75 coil help me out? Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated! Thanks all!!:canadaflag:

I'm not technically proficient on this, but I think if your ground is extremely mild, the preset GB could be set too positive for your area.

I never found any coins deeper than 6" when I had a Cibola.