Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

cibola-vaquero

also let me rephrase the question have you ever had one go deeper than the other? And you brought up a good point, unless someone always hunts the same area does one really know if they will need manual gb?

With a manually GB'd machine, if you ever want to change coils, say get a larger one or a smaller one, then you never have to worry about the coil and machine being balanced. When you GB the machine the coil is tuned to the machine. With factory preset GB, you can still change coils, but there may be, and I say MAY BE a slight mis-match in the two and you MAY NOT bet getting optimum performance. How much performace do you loose? It may not even be noticable, but some would rather not thake that chance. For me, when I am hunting, I want to be sure my machine is tuned and running at its best, and with a manual GB machine you insure that happens each time you balance the machine. With factory preset GB machines, like the Cibola, Tesoro recommends you send your machine back into the factory if you get a different coil, so they can electronically tune it to your machine. If you have multiple coils, they recommend you send all the coils in and they will tune your machine to be optimum with all your coils.

So, in addition to insuring your machine is tuned to the site you are hunting, Manual GB also makes your machine much more versatile when it comes to your arsenal of coils.

They both have the same circuitry and the same operational amplifiers. So both will get about the same depth. Since ground balance is an adjustable filter, filtering out the minerals in the ground will let the V have a clearer picture of the target without the added minerals coming into play and messing with the ID circuit. That, with the threshold which the C doesn't have, gives better "perception" of the deeper targets.

Basically, if you know what your doing, the V finds deeper targets. Otherwise, you won't notice any difference unless you misbalance the V, then the Cibola will find deeper targets.

Dan

Also, playing with the GB you can tweak how it behaves. For instance Canadian coins, being made from compressed, foil, gumwrappers can be tricky to detect at proper disc settings. By running the GB slightly cool you can bring their repsonse range more into line.

I remember reading somewhere that by setting your GB to the edges you can actually knock out good targets, so a preset machine could give you grief if set too extreme, but you would never know it. I guess that is why gold hunting units all seem to have manual GB so that you can optimise for that spot(s) and make the desired target, small gold, not hide in the background noise.

It is your call. I personally like manual GB now that I have used it for a while now and probably not own a machine that either didn't auto track, auto balance, or manually GB. Some people seem to have grief with it. Good luck.

Sorry, edit here:

As to whether you need GB or not in your area is a good point. Here, where I live the soil is very neutral, except if I go down to the beaches. I would generally set my gb and I could forget about it for weeks. I did find that I could play with the way the machine operates by having this control at my disposal. The knob that should really be causing you concern is the sensitivity knob. This will get you into tons of trouble too. It is a balancing act between the two. The C and V are equal units as long as you adjust them appropriately for your site that you are hunting. Too much gain can cause just as much frustration if set too high for conditions. WIth GB tweaked you can run sens much lower and get a nice stable quiet deep seeking unit. That doesn't go off howling at any piece of iron larger than a nailhead.

So, if you have GB you "can" adjust to your conditions if need be. With the C you have what you have. The C would still peg a dime a 8" in the hot sand at my fresh water beaches.

well i had to know so today i managed to get in my dime test garden the c, and v. the only thing i noticed is on the deepest dime the v with the
gb set at halfway because i have neutral soil here and it really doesn't matter much one way or the other so i set it in the middle, got
good hard hits on the dime every time. The c on the other hand got broken signals, sometimes it might miss it, or gave a hit, it could have anyone of those responses. Now my question is did the gb really
come into play here, and have been set manually just enough the
right way to make that difference? I don't know, also with both of them
supertuned i did have to turn down the sensativity a little more on the v to be stable. So is it more sensative? It would seem that way to me,
but i couldn't tell you for sure. Anybody have any thoughts on what
happened?

can you explain a little more about the balance between the sensativity
knob and the gb. How do you know when it is ideal?