Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

cibola, vaquero,or tejon

idig3

many people i have talked to said in the eastern part of the u.s. the cibola will work just as good anywhere. the part that confuses me is that if you have a machine with a preset ground balance how can it be just as good as one with manual ground balance, there has to be some changes in ground conditions. and i would think having the option to set it manual to the ground conditions you would get optimal performance and depth. Also could you not dial the v or t to a certain point and basically have a cibola like previously mentioned, and at what point on the dial would that be on a v. If someone could also respond inland in florida where there is little to no mineralization where would you set the dial if you can not ground balance because lack of.

The Tejon and Vaquero would definetly be more versatile. Having the option to get the balance just right is a plus. I live in the northeast and have never had any troubles with my Cibola, maybe I'm lucky???
Greg

thanks for your input greg would also like to here from others who hunted in the east on the ground balance issue also if anyone has done a side by side comparison whith these detectors in different conditions. it would only be fair to compare if both machines were used to identify the same exact target after it was dicovered.

In many areas of the Northeast the Cibola will work just fine. Are there a few rather isolated areas where it may not work as well as a manually GB'd unit? Of course. But one thing I have discovered is that Fixed GB units can be off somewhat either plus or minus and still operate quite well. They may sacrifice some depth under those conditions but they still produce. So if you want maximum performance in almost any condition that might exist get something with manual GB. If the areas you hunt are generally more local and Fixed GB seems to be working don't worry about it.

I agree with Pap. Manual ground balance might get you a "little" more, but it may get you less if not properly GB also. I have an Ace 250 and a CXIII by Garrett. The Ace is preset GB and the CXIII is either preset, manual or automatic. The Ace holds it's own against either of the CXIII GB option.

Personally, I think the GB feature is much more advantageous in high mineralized area's of the country, like the Pacific Northwest.

I live in NE TN, and manual GB just takes up more time to me.

is there not any areas in the east where there is enough mineralization to make a difference, for example georgia with the clay or in the mountains. and could you just set the manual at a certain point and just use it like a preset:help:

idig,

My input is this. I use a Silver Umax, which I love. I just ordered a Tejon after much consideration. I have been researching this very same issue until I was sick. Someone told me that the C gets the same depth as the Silver. Then someone told me the C gets the same depth as the V. Yet another told me that the C goes as deep as the T. Well - they can't all be right b/c that would mean the Silver Umax is as deep as the Tejon and I can't accept that this is true and I have never read that this could be true.

As for depth - The reason I picked the Tejon is b/c I realized that I will certainly get no less depth than the Cibola or Vaquero (even if it happens to be the same)but I will most likely(if you beleive most posts) get more depth with the Tejon. Also, I will be looking to find that sweet ground balance spot that people claim is in line with the preset ground balance on the Cibola, just in case I have problems.

Another consideration is the used detector market. I see way more used Tejons for sale than Vaqueros. Seems like people hang on to their Vaqueros but get rid of their Tejons - or could it be that the Tejon is older and there are more units out there going around. I don't know for sure. But you can get a well used Tejon for about $350(cheaper than a new v and the same price as a new c!). I would suggest you buy one. Then, if you don't like the GB try to set it at a place and leave it. Then, if all else fails - you will have no problem trading it for a used C or V straight up.

Then again, with used, you have to worry about warranty issues too.

But then again - I don't have my Tejon yet and my answer may be different after I use it for a bit . . .

Ian

The Smokey Mountains where I live are not high in mineralization and neither is our clay. To me, manual ground balance is like the old FM radio's with a dial. You could control the exact frequency you wanted to listen to and adjust for frequency drift caused by atmospheric conditions. Not much of the around as it is done digitally.

It is more important to know your detector, than anything. I've seen guys with old Garrett ADS's run rings around a lot of newer detectors because the person knew exactly what his detector was saying. Of course he has been using it for 15 years. Many people trade so much looking for the extra 1 inch of depth that they don't take enough time to learn their detector. If I want to dig something at 18", I'll get a box unit and go for the cache's. I'm not digging 18" holes for one lousy pulltab.

well said hightone, but i do have to ask something using your example.
ok lets say the atmospheric conditions were different that day(hitting some mineralized ground) and the signal was all static(being in preset).but you had the option to turn the dial to bring it in clear(using manual gb).That's how I see it anyway, does that make sense?

Hypothetically, yes.