Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Church/schoolyard finds

PAshooter

Went to my Mom's farm the other day to hunt some sites I had researched a bit on: a mid-late 1800's schoolhouse (no longer there) with hard packed pea-gravel that was NOT FUN to dig in, with a 1950's church opposite. The whole area was an oil boom-town of 2,000+ residents at it's peak in 1887, declining to a few residents with only a year-and-a-half of it's formation! Here's the result of about 3 hours worth of hunting - the 3 bark-looking chunks in the upper right are solid lead, and just left of those (above the beer can) is a very corroded cast-iron toy car. Left of the car is another chunk of lead, looks like an empty flattened tube of some sort. Unfortunately, just 2 coins...both clad pennies, found laying right on top of the gravel driveway of the church.
[attachment 92623 DSC00001.JPG]

The 30-30 round was intact, but broke open while being taken from the dirt. The other is an empty 243-win round:
[attachment 92624 DSC00002.JPG]

In other words: A lot of JUNK, rather diappointing really after the research I put in. Granted, I only covered about 25% of the ground...

Don't let it get you down.

That sounds like a great place.

Persistance and the right aditude.

You never know what's gonna turn up.

I wish I could find some old toy cars.

HH,

PAshooter just maybe your in the wrong section? Did you see and old photo or even talk to some of the older residents? I only bring it up because I detect a popular beach here and happen to find a 1957 photo of the beach and gad the people gathered in a different place than they do now because the water was much higher. Could be the parking lot was not there in the 50's or earlier. From the digs you are in an old site but maybe not the right spot? Jer

My thoughts exactly zeekeys... got some local old-photo-books from the library, but no luck yet. In fact I'm planning on going to the the local Historical Society today to see what I can see...

One thing I forgot to mention, you can see a small white cylindrical lead pellet just about center of the first pic - it appears to be painted white - anyone have any idea what this might be?