Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Christmas disappointment

Hoover

Ive been using an xterra70 for the past 3 years with good results (9 gold rings and plenty of pre-1900's coins), though you always wonder what you might be missing. Decided to upgrade to the etrac after seeing the results and comments from this forum. Bought a brand spanking new one from the local dealer a week before xmas as I wanted to check to make sure that it worked before heading out on boxing day for a detecting holiday up the coast. Charged the battery and everything seemed to be working fine and promptly turned it off as it was a xmas present. Had booked in for a quick tutorial with the dealer on Christmas eve and when I arrived the etrac would not turn on. The dealer suggested that I had probably left the detector on when I had given it a trial run and the battery was now flat, and we postponed the tutorial. I charged the battery again overnight ready for Xmas. You could imagine my frustration when on Xmas day my new detector would not turn on. I tried using alkaline batteries- still nothing. I tried re-adjusting the battery and it started and was working fine. It showed full battery charge. I turned the detector off after a minutes use, then waited and attempted to turn it on again with no luck. Consequently my new detector is heading back to minelab. This has been extremely frustrating!!!!. I guess Ive just picked a lemon as this does not seem to be a common problem. Lucky my xterra provided ample backup for my detecting holiday.
Hoover

I hate to admit it but I had a similar experience with mine on "Day One". I just about had an anxiety attack. I took the battery out and put it back in a few times and it started working, been fine since. It must have just been a bad connection. Maybe something was in the battery compartment that caused a seperation between contacts or maybe the metal contacts just needed to be scuffed up by having the two metal surfaces rubbed together a time or two, I don't know. If you haven't sent it off yet, try inspecting the battery contacts and the contacts in the battery housing with a flashlight and look for any debris or anything that might prevent a good contact. Good luck!

Looks to me like if u buy it from a dealer they would just give you another one and send that one in. To me that is bad customer service!!!!!

Unfortunately the dealer did not have another one in stock, though initially wanted to send mine back to be repaired. I insisted that I did not want that machine (as I was worried that I would have ongoing problems with it) and the dealer then agreed to replace this detector and has ordered a new one.

I agree, the dealer should handled that...especially for a $1500. detector.
I hope you get it resolved.
HH, Aaron

i have seen on another forum that there has been alot of other people with the same thing, i hope it dont happen to mine.