Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Chilly here today.. - 12 at dawn. Oil jelled in the oil barrel.

George-CT

It was oil I had put in over the summer, so I guess not additves in it.... I set the oil furnace for 55 in winter but heat with wood so it usually don't come on at all, but last night it dropped fast and the wind came up...When I got up at 6 today the temp was 52 inside but no oil burner. Did my check and it was jelled... Guess I'll add my own today. About 9 more weeks of this here in CT and it should be over with.... My daughter got me some new leathers for riding the road bike and can't wait to try them out.... right now I could not move it out of the garage....to much snow and ice on the ground and no sign of melting....

George-CT

n/t

yesterday.told my sister that people up your way usually have an alternate source of heat except in the urban areas.do they have fireplace restrictions in boston and the bigger cities in connecticut?

4 degrees and it has been snowing since I got out of bed, maybe before.

It rarely snows when it is this cold, usually because when it is this cold the skys are clear

i get tormented sumpthin fierce by that Cowboy buddy of mine cause i said one time that we have mild winters here:biggrin:

woodstoves or inserts in them... They have passed a law not for the wood burners that are outside stand alone units. Because they don't have very high stacks on them, the smoke can be real close to the ground and people get upset over that. can;t blame them for not wanting to choke on your smoke.... they have limits as to how far from another house it has to be, stack height, and now they have ask for cleaner burning units of that type... I see them advertising them now as clearner burning also. I don't have anyone around me and have 100 buffer here of my own. Plus my stack is about 28 feet up.... On rare occasion, no wind at all, and a damp day the smoke from my unit will sit on the ground and I can smell it. Thats a rare day up here on the hill.. NH really took a hit from the ice.
We have more snow coming in tonight, tomorrow and now I'm hearing Monday.... Lucky us as it was starting to look dirty....Freshen it up some..... Good thing is all those people slidding on the hills with tubes, sleds, you name.... All loosing stuff as the fall off, take their gloves off.... Almost as good as a well used beach at times.......

Geo-CT

fred misses alot of stuff being 250 miles further south.sometimes those fronts will only get so far and then move east,i think the warmer causes that.

a few of them but run out of time. I like hunting at spring thaw...Ground is really wet, easy to dig, no bugs out yet....
I have 2 sites that were ski areas way back when. All the coins are silver out of there so far except pennys. Hard on the body as its real steep shorter runs but fast.
The old rope tow is still there fasted to and old truck with the tire off the rim. The just wrap it around the rim like a winch and away they go. Pretty sure I posted some pictures about it a few years back....

Geo

Highly efficient and it does not eat much wood at all. Some of them are very decorative as well. The laws they have passed as to emissions up here, are probably similar to yours. These stoves are all okayed for use since they pass those standards.

Hope that it warms soon for you George. It gets old real fast dealing with cold weather. :):

http://www.pacificenergy.net/

Fair winds

Mikie

If any of you are using wood/coal stoves as supplemental heat and you have a hot water boiler, you must protect the heat pipes and radiators from freezing if they are exposed to freezing temperatures as they often are in older houses.

The house thermostat may be kept off by the auxiliary heat and will not circulate the water through the hot water system and the exposed pipes etc. will freeze and break!

You may protect them, at minimum expense, by turning up the thermostat to a temperature higher than the room temperature, forcing the water to circulate through the system.

Closing the baseboard dampers or blocking air flow through them with old cloths, blankets or duct tape will stop the heat from being expelled into the room, thus keeping the cost to a minimum and still protecting the pipes. With old cast iron radiators, just drape an old blanket over the unit. There is no fire hazard from hot water systems.

This is only to protect the pipes/ radiation during very cold spells. Obviously during the less severe periods, you would keep the T-stat turned down.

Repaired a lot of pipes etc. frozen this way,

Cupajo