Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cherry Picking Gold

Nocanfind

I thought I would share this with my fellow detectors. I have always wanted a way to cherry pick gold through all the pull tabs. I woke up during the night several days ago and had an idea. I put a headphone splitter in my phone jack and connected a chromatic to tuner the the quattro. Running the quattro in the conductive mode I found that 90% of pull tabs will sound at the c or d note. All of the gold I have tested has sounded A,E,F,or G note. Maybe some of you have good enough hearing to tell the difference between a pull tab and gold but my hearing is not that good. Also I don't come across gold often enough to remember the sound. I have used this setup in a test garden letting my son try to trick me and the only thing that has fooled me is the tail off of a beaver tail tab. I am excited and can't wait to try it in the park and at the beach. I know this is not 100% but it will greatly improve my odds. Does anyone know if someone has tried this before? The whole setup cost about $30.

Good Idea! Where did you get a tuner that plugs into a headphone jack? The one I've got just has an external mic. This might also work for silver vs clad.

JHM the tuner that I have is a Sabine Metrotune MT9000. My son plays the guitar and he had just purchased it for about $20 on ebay. I am sure there are others that will work fine.

You are going to have to change your handle from "Nocanfind" to "findemall"!!!
That is one of the best ideas I have heard in a long time.
I don't have a quattro, but I check in here once in a while to see what you guys are finding. That set-up seems awesome.
May have to get a quattro just for that reason!
HH
MM

What a great idea nocanfind, haven't heard of that before. Would like to look into it a more more myself. Might be just the thing here for me! Cheers Angela:detecting::)

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?10,45257,45257#msg-45257

and I am NOT trying to steal your thunder :surrender:. At the time back in 2002, when I first read that post, I tried a cheap tuner with an analogue meter needle and it was of NO benefit to me. I guess we needed to wait for a nice LCD version of a tuner like the Sabine or newer less costly and more accurate technology that gives out a read out value. I just might try it again now that the newer technology is available, though I think I have the EXP XS and EXP 2 down pat and able to cherry pick gold form pulltabs MAYBE . Friend of mine with the Quattro is keen to try this and we will soon. Thanks for sharing your info and reminding some of us.

Hard Nosed Dave :ausflag:

pretty women or something else other then metal detectors. But it is an interesting concept. But I doubt my hearing would be good enough to tell the subtle changes in the pitch of the audio to make a difference.

for one of these devices to fit into "the" water proofing hard shells for Quattro and Explorer control boxes?:please: Out of curiosity I've just put one of these guitar tuners on order so as I can try it out on the Explorer XS and 2, as well.
If it can achieve a extra, accurate cross reference to those very pesky pull tabs, it would be perfect for beach hunting...underwater.

David Di

Thanks for posting this info! One question.. Have you tried it on different sizes of foil, waddedup, flat ect?

TIA
Tom