Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CHECK Your Unit

botlmole

Hi All, While hunting the other day with my new X-Terra 705, I was shocked to feel my arm rest fall off. The screw must have backed out and fell out somewhere in the last several hunts?? I went back along the beach where I was hunting and did not find it, I checked my bag and truck, Not Happening, its gone. This would be #13 on the list, The Arm Rest Screw. I called every mine Lab Dealer I could find and No One has them. Apparently they are not on the parts list. It appears that you get 1 screw, then You are screwed. So I finally got a hold of Mine Lab and they are sending me a courtesy screw. I am most Happy about that. I am going to look for another screw at a auto store with metric screws and see if I can find something to use as a backup. My sugguestion is that before during and after the hunt check your arm rest screw. Rick

Since the X-TERRA detectors come with the armrest not assembled, your unfortunate experience should serve as a good for everyone to make sure the screw gets properly tightened when you put your detector together.

As to replacing the armrest screw...... if you can't get one from your dealer, I'm sure you could pick up a replacement at a good hardware store. It appears to be about 1 1/8 inches of fine thread, +/- 1/8 inch in diameter. Just based on appearance, it's tough to tell if it is metric or US specs. If it were mine, I'd take my detector to the hardware store with me, go to the aisle that has toggle bolts etc, and see if you can't find one that fits. If you can't find one with a little plastic knob, make sure you put a washer around the bolt to keep it from stripping into the plastic armcup. JMHO HH Randy

Hey Guys,
I just purchased a used X-Terra 705 on eBay the other day and the seller says that the same screw you are talking about is missing. Just so I can get a little jump on the situation if anyone purchases one from Lowe's or Home-depot would you be so kind as to let me know just exactly what screw you purchases . That way I can purchase the screw before my detector arrives and try it out right away. I am very excited to get this new machine.
Sincerely,
Greg

I had to replace mine also after the first day when the arm rest fell off. I added a small lock washer this time and have had not problems since. I think it was my issue originally because I so feared I would strip it out during assembly. I added a little extra elbow grease this time and it took it like a quality piece of equipment. I just took my pieces into the hardware store and started screwing away so I don't have your sizes. Just a suggestion. I submerged my detector last week and had to do an emergency dry out of the internal parts. The four screws that hold the unit together are very poor quality and even with a new screwdriver almost stripped out. I replaced them with a #4 flat head metal screw and it worked just dandy. You don't want to try and open the unit in an emergency with the bad screws so I suggest you change them out in advance and make yourself familiar with how to dry the machine out. There is a previous post explaining the process given to me by Minelab customer service. Good luck with your machine. They are great.

My 705 showed up with no threads in the armrest part, therefore I couldn't install the screw. It was my first day with my detector and I wasn't pleased, Minelab sent me a new assembly a few days later but do you think that I could leave the detector sit until it arrived? I went to Lowes and bought a threaded rivet, I drilled up thru the hole and thru the padding, I slid the rivet down thru and locktighted the screw, it worked so well that I have never replaced it. My new cuff has been sitting on a shelf waiting to be installed ever since.

Just got back from the local hardware store, I got stainless hex screws, washers, and lock washers. Everything is Metric, I do not know Metric, but the shaft of the screw was 30 cm or mm ? the screw itself is an M4 Hex and the shaft in inches is 1 3/16" long, I think the guy said the threads were an 8 fine? Anyways I am back in business and on the Hunt Tomorrow Morning, Yesssssss !!!!!!!

8 fine = SAE #8-36 and is about .164 in diameter and has 36 threads per inch

M4 is about .157 diameter. with pitch length of .5 or .70 (mm) but without disassembling I con not say which it is.

M4 and #8 are not interchangeable. (at all)

Jeff