Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Chaperone/ Giving support/ Detecting a secret spot

Sandtick

My teenage son who has been dating a fine young gal for the better part of 8 months wanted to take her and a couple friends to my parents cottage for a weekend. Well, that wasn't going to happen without adult supervision much to his disliking. I drew the small straw and was elected to accompany my son, his gal and two other girls for the weekend. We are talking a whole bottle of Excedrin needed for this trip.

I had a pretty good plan though. I would take advantage of this trip and visit a dear friend Sally and go on a small detecting trip. The neighbors at the lake would keep an eye on things while I was away for a few hours.

One of my best friends pass away at the end of May. He was an old neighbor whom I still stayed in contact with. We moved away over 12 years ago but I would still drive the 3 hours back to visit, take in a movie, go to lunch or just catch up with one another. Harper was a young 87 years old when he passed. He has been in failing health since he was diagnosed with kidney failure 6 years ago. He's wife Sally of 65 years is just devastated. Harper was her EVERYTHING. I wanted to do something nice for Sally, knowing how sad she was. I decided to make her a small wooden vase with some wooden flowers that a turned on a lathe. They really brightened up her day. We sat for an hour and a half laughing and crying talking about Harper. It was a very hard visit. He was one of a kind and I'm so glad he crossed my path. I left giving Sally a big hug while we both sobbed like babies not saying a word. We just couldn't bring ourselves to say any more. With a small wave she walked back into the house and I got back into the car. I miss Harper very much.

Trying to lighten the mood I had a detecting spot I wanted to try since winter. My father showed me an old beach that the kids and teens used back in the day. It was a very secluded spot that doesn't see many people now a days. I didn't have much time left, it was rainingand a bit cold. Perfect for water detecting!
Very first hit I got was a ring! It looked like a junk ring at first glance, but later that day taking a better look it had a 18K mark on it. I was only able to detect for 30 minutes or so but in that time I pulled a bunch of bottle caps and some coins. I was only able to get out just past my knees. This spot sure does seem promising. I will hit it again before summer is over.
Anyway, it was a good weekend.

Very nice story - & you were rewarded with a gold ring. Flowers & vase are also very neat, Steve in so la

I like visiting with people and talking with them. That is something that few people do anymore. Nice finds you got there to.

Sorry for your loss, I will pray for you and the family of your friend. So how old are these kids that wanted to tay at the house? WTG on the ring! Does it have any other lettering inside?

That vase is really pretty. I don't see how you do that. That is really cool.

Outstanding effort on all counts! :clapping::please: You sure get a lot done in a short amount of time! Taking time to care for people and whatnot...good work!

Thats a very nice ring!, the spoon looks like it could be silver? All that 'trash' says you are hunting a very good spot...old tabs, rotten crowns, nickels...:drool: Well done all around, you are a good guy Pete!
Mud

Thanks everyone. Was not trying to boast or anything like that. Just wanted to get a good down to earth thread started back up.
Hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend!!!

Thanks for sharing your story w/us, Pete. Nice ring find. Will pray for you & your friends mate left behind; for now. Have a great 4th.

It is nice to read these kind of threads. I get tired of food and politic post. I feel like we are all close friends on here and it is good to hear what is going on in each others lives.

n/t