Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Change the Name From Newbie To Rookie

Mat Hastings

Hey can we change the way we call new people. I'm not offended in anyway but Newbie just sounds funny to me for some reason or another. How about rookies? Being a vol. fireman we always call our new guys rookies and I think that's where I get it from. But anyhow keep up the good advice I'm learning lots from you guys. That was a nice speech Gray Ghost. I did that a couple of times last year hop out of the car find a bunch of tin foil and get all mad and hopped back in the car and left. So there again I learned something new in one spot instead of searching the web for a couple of hours or so. Is there anyone from Minnesota if there is why can't you keep the snow up there we WI folks are getting sick of this snow.:thumbup:

"don't forget, ................. that we were once the same way. young and too quick to move. truth is, the newbies in this great hobby of ours need us, the older, more experienced hunters, as much as we need them - to continue our hobby into the next generations. the newbies of today will secure our hopes and dreams of better finds in the future through improved technology and knowledge. and they want and need our help, and are grateful for it. as a hunter for over 25 years, i personally believe you could have come up with something better to say."

so there you have it, mat. for those of you not familiar with what happened, a poster on another forum was rather loud and abrasive towards "newbies" or "rookies" in our hobby,and was tired of the constant questioning and felt disrespected. i saw mat's answer to it, recognizing his name right away. it angered many people. so i responded in kind. mat, your're gonna run into people like that. there's plenty of other good and talented people on this forum who are glad to help you out. don't forget that you and others like you are the future of our hobby, and you should get some respect for that. thanks for the good words, and good luck. keep on gettin' up!!!

Gray Ghost please don't think I'm ripping on the Newbies. I just thought the WORD Newbies sounds funny. I admit I'm a newbie and am pleased to be one. As far as that other posting I did on the other forum. There again it was not a slam to the newbie or the rookie it was just my feelings on how people always tend to pick on the ones that are the newbies. No hard feelings here from me. Sorry if I offended anyone else as a newbie that wasn't what I intended to do. :sick:

no worries about that mat. but your'e right, the word newbie does sound retarded. it's officially out of my vocab now. hh,

Mat, I agree with you and GrayGhost and have deleted newbie from
my detecting language. But, to be fair to a few others, the term newbie
was started years ago to describe a person who was so new to a
hobby(not just detecting) that they had never gotten into it as yet,
whereas the term "rookie" means that one has begun the hobby
and is "learning the ropes", using the tools of the endeavor (like a
Fireman, for example). So, you are indeed now a "rookie"!
Congrats and welcome to this fine hobby/avocation!
..W

Let me just say off the top that I have never ripped anyone online or even set out to treat them in a 'less than' the others sort of way, but this is just insanity. Isn't this place about dirt fishing? It IS...then why are we having sensativity training when there is tin foil to collect and there are stories to be told.If what Iam saying does't apply to you then so what. Its just my take on the situation and it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life.
I don't care if the newbies wear pink triangles on their sleaves or N.R.A. stickers on their trucks. I don't care if they are abrasive or just seem like nice people. I don't want to hear a bunch of pansies talk about their hurt feeling or religion or anything outside of this hobby. I am sorry they had to amputate your right leg. Now shut up and tell me what you found withh your metal detector when you gimped your way out of the hospital.
Did I hurt anyones feelings? Oh I am sorry. No Iam not and that is honestly the truth. Who really cares about any of that garbage. Just get over it and tell me about metal detecting. In the end its all about relaxing and enjoying a hobby most fail to understand and choose to make fun. Better grow a thick skin if your going to swing a detector, because they really are laughing at you...NOT with you.
HH,
Doug in OR