Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Chances of gold?

norton4

Hello, this is my first time posting on the prospecting forum. There's a creek near my grandparents house that has black sand and I was wondering what the chances of finding gold in or around it were. I own a Metal detector but apparently it isn't very good for small gold and I would like any gold. So if you think there may be gold should I stick to my detector or get something like a pan? Any help is appreciated.

Hi, you will defiantly want to test the area with a gold pan.
If there is no fine gold in the area, you would be wasting your time looking for larger nuggets with a detector.
You may want to do some research on the location. The best place to look for gold is in an area where gold has previously been found. I have found the Internet to be a very valuable prospecting tool.
Gus-

Find where the bedrock is accessible and dig the dirt from the cracks, also any roots from plants and even the moss...if there are any fines at all you are on the right track...if there are pickers you are certainly in a good area.
Most coin detectors and readio shack type detectors are not sensitive enough to find small gold...a little more info about your detector and the area you are located might produce better results...good luck

Fred

Thanks guys, I can't seem to find anything on the Internet about people even looking for gold near there, let alone finding it. I'll keep looking though. I'm there quite often so I think I will kill some time next time and see what I can find. Do y'all know of any stores that sell gold pans or would it be easier to get one off the Internet?

It looks like the location you mentioned is in Bedford county. My book "The Gold Hunters Field Book" lists gold locations, state by state and county by county. They have no listing for Bedford county. I don't believe you'd find any gold there.

Frank

Thanks Frank, but since I'm there so much I figure I'll look anyway. can't hurt right? also, look up the Beale treasure, (I think that's spelled right) if its not just a big hoax there's quite a bit of gold somewhere around there. One can only hope.