Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Caught in a blizzard (last part)

Dan-MO

By this time we were a couple of miles from our starting point-but there was nothing to help us back there anyway.These were the days prior to cell phones and we were alone with no one but ourselves to depend on.Looking back we SHOULD have retraced our steps back at this point and returned to our starting point on a county road and waited for someone to drive by and hitched a ride

I want to encourage you to send it to Outdoor Life. I really believe that they'll use it, if only for the This Happened To Me illustrated segment.

Thanks so much for sharing this life-and-death adventure. It is sure that you saved your buddy's life that day...just as he saved yours so long ago.

Please send the magazines a copy of this. Every outdoorsman needs to read this story. It could save some else's life, as well. <><

aj

of you were not hurt any worse than you were. People lose fingers and toes to frostbite, even limbs. If I were stranded, I would want someone as quick thinking and smart as you with me! Thanks for an edge of the seat read!! :)

i am impressed at how you handled starting a fire by using gunpowder, most do not even know that it burns rather than exploding! No question that you saved your friends life. I know too well what it is like to be that cold and trying to light a fire from a few incidents in the north country while trapping and hunting, even with matches and tinder, near frozen hands make it nearly impossible!
Excellent recount of a frightening experience, thank you for this!
Wayne

You're a great writer Dan. Dear God........you two must have felt like cryin' when your truck came into view. I have been cold before, but never to that degree. Your friend carried you when you were younger.......you carried him thru this one. How fitting !:clapping:

Bill and I often teased each other about who's turn it was to carry the other.I couldn't help but smile at the thought when I served as one of his pall bearers......I know he would have laughed

And lived thru some foolish mistakes.We should have been paying much closer attention to the elements and not put ourselves in the position we were in. Also at the time I was 26 years old and in the best physical condition of my life.If it happened today we would be SOL:lol:

And I have printed this and may send it in. We were very lucky that day and could have died because of the position we put ourselves in.Thanks for the response.

really freezing my arse off!!

I was there with you and didn't like it at all :D That is one of those things that make a life but we could do without!!

Thanks for posting it and it would be a great one to save for your grandkids:thumbup:

read this story and i am so glad he did. This was an amazing story of two very determined men. Thank God you both made it out alive!

Too bad he lost his gun though; some lucky scoundrel found it when it thawed out.

You get an A+ on this one!

Lil Brother

The gun was an old Stevens double barrel 16 Ga. We went back later and walked a mile or so looking for it.....never did find it.

being caught out in that kind of weather is a recipe for disaster. Glad you were able to haul Bill along with you. I'm sure you must miss him greatly.

Great story!

Dave