Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Catastrophes I've Lived Through

bdahunter

In 1982 I was on the Greyhound Bus heading back to campus at the U of Guelph and the sky was dark and stormy. Rain was coming down in sheets and the wind was rocking the bus as we pulled up in front of the Life Sciences Building. The bus driver opened the door quickly to let myself and my girlfriend out into the tempest and we made a mad dash for the building with a small umbrella as our only shield against the elements. We were drenched before we made it to the main doors as the wind was driving the huge rain pellets at us from all angles. Just as I grabbed for the doors the umbrella shot out of my hand with a loud pop and was gone over the roof of the building. I pulled on the doorpull with all my might to get out of the fury of the storm but it wouldn't budge, suddenly the pelting rain turned to foam all around us and we couldn't breath, we were suffocating in a watery foam. Just as suddenly the foam was gone and the door pulled free from the frame and we were in the dry safety of the Life Sciences Building. We wandered through the hallways dripping wet and wondering at what had just happened to us, until we got to the U.C. Building. The U.C. was abuzz with talk of a tornado touching down on campus so we took the elevator to the top floor and looked out of the windows with the other students. To the west was the Veterinary College and there were sheep scattered in the fencing and the trees (a tragic mess), to the East lay the Arboretum (a rare tree repository) the section with the rare pine trees was flattened in a pinwheel pattern on the ground. The twister had touched down 300 yds before the point that we had exited the bus and 400 yds beyond us, it was a near perfect miss. My girlfriend and I couldn't fathom our incredibly good/bad luck.
[attachment 57627 tornado-ropingout.jpg]
1989 I moved from Ontario to Calgary, Alberta and on a trip through the Rockies I heard a strange hissing sound, I looked up to see a wall of snow hurtling down the mountainside in front of me. I pulled into an avalanche shed as the sky around me turned white with fine snow and the avalanche shot out over the Trans-Canada Hwy..
[attachment 57628 Avalancha20STSmall.jpg]
1994 I was sound asleep in my bed, alone, when my dog 'Bear' woke me by pacing around the bedroom and growling in distress. I thought that someone was trying to break in to the house because of my dog's behavior. As I was clearing the cobwebs from my eyes and groping for the axehandle I kept beside the bed, I noticed that the alarm clock was walking itself across the night table. My knees were suddenly rubbery and I had a hard time keeping my balance, after a minute of clinging to the headboard, all returned to mormal and eventually 'Bear' calmed down and returned to a fitful sleep, as did I. It had been a 4.1 earthquake.
2001 and my fiance' and I took a trip to Costa Rica and visited a lodge overlooking Mount Arenal, an active volcano. After negotiating a good deal on a cabina, we had a wonderful dinner and then settled in for the night. Around 3 a.m. we were both awoken by loud thunder and got out of bed to enjoy the light show created by the storm. We went to the large windows but it wasn't raining, instead we saw a bright red river flowing down the side of Mount Arenal. We watched it for over an hour, in awe of the forces of nature and then we returned to our slumber; having witnessed a truly rare and spectacular event.
[attachment 57631 arenal-volcano-observatory-.jpg]
2002 found me working away on the computer at our home on the shores of Lake Couchiching with a summer thunderstorm passing over our home. My wife, Susan loves thunderstorms as do I so she was in the doorway leading onto the deck with our two bouviers "Bear' and 'Bree' watching the show. I wasn't particularly worried about the storm as they are a common occurance and I have a good UPS for my computer. Lightning and thunder were crackling all around us and I was in the process of shutting down the computer when there was an ungodly 'CRACK' and the screen went dead. My body stiffened unnaturally and I heard Susan scream and the dogs begin to yelp. When I finally got to my feet and came downstairs, I found Susan leaning against the wall with the dogs cowering around her, Susan's hair was stuck out on end; we had been hit by lightning. The old elm tree in ou sideyard was smoking and the metal plumbing vent on the roof was scorched, the computer hard drive was fused and the information unretrieveable. The UPS company never paid up.
[attachment 57637 lightning_1368_thumb.jpg]
2003 found me in the West Indies with Hurricane Fabian approaching on a direct course for the island of Mustique, there was no place to go so we battened down the hatches and hoped for the best. At the last moment, Fabian hung a right and trashed Jamaica, then Cuba and finally it bullseyed Bermuda and having enjoyed that so much it turned around and hit Bermuda again (CAT 4). My crew were thrilled at our good luck in having been spared from Fabian's wrath and I commented to the guys that there would be a lot of work to be done next year in Bermuda.
2004 found me in, you guessed it, Bermuda and all was well until Hurricane Florence hit in 2006 (only a CAT 1) which rocked our socks but left us unharmed, with only minor damage.
[attachment 57638 Discovery.jpg]
2007 I was on my way home from a half days work on a Saturday when I ran into a traffic jam a kilometre long (unheard of here), a passing motorist said that there was a tsunami coming and the Village of Somerset was being evacuated. My wife and I live in Somerset so I tried to call her but the cell phone network was overwhelmed. There was no way into Somerset but eventually the police lifted the roadblock and traffic continued. I found my wife and 'Bree' safe at home; it had been a false report by the drunken chef at our favorite restaurant who saw large seas (they were 45 feet) against an unusually low cloud formation and he had imagined a tsunami. The chef made the front page of the local paper but it was all forgotten in a fortnight.
[attachment 57639 thai.jpg]
Tornado, Avalanche, Earthquake, Volcanic Eruption, Lightning Strike and Hurricanes; there was a minor flood, numerous blizzards and a forest fire mixed in there as well but I didn't want to bore you with the trivial items. Canadians are said to love the weather but this is ridiculous!

Just count your blessings and hope that your luck [such as it is] :) ] continues.

Calm seas

Mikie

Your story was exciting...lots of interesting things in your life. My experiences are minor, only tornados or stream flooding. I liked the photo of the tornado. Thanks for sharing with the Forum and please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

only i was a kid and they didn't count:),and the hurricane was minor.thing i could live without the earthquakes though.i always liked the weather better as a kid,no doppler radar to warn you of impending doom 3 hours down the road.yes,i know it's better,but you didn't have lead time,so you just went off to sleep.

one night a hail storm hit and it had golfball sized stones,i never woke up,we must have been lucky,many up and down our street had their roofs replaced as well as windows.enjoyed your experiences BDA.

Susan and I were watching 'An Inconvenient Truth' the other night and it made me realize that some of the wierd and wacky weather experiences I've been through may have only been a dry run, compared to what may be coming in the future. For those who haven't seen this excellent documentary, I highly recommend it as an informative, if somewhat disturbing film. If even half of the information presented is so much as half true, then we can look forward to some very interesting times ahead, indeed.

Cheers,

Eric:cool:

n/t

Thunderstorms can be neat to watch but a green sky starts me to worrying. It'd be interesting to know over the course of our lives how many times we've escaped disaster by inches. A real interesting post bda about this game of chance we call living.:thumbup:

That is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. It did not erupt while we were there though.

You have had some exciting times but I don't envy you them.

It really is a stunning part of Costa Rica and seeing the eruption was a once in a lifetime experience. It was a great trip, done in the usual fashion - find a cheap ticket to someplace interesting sounding, book 1 nights accomodation, grab a car on the first morning and then go exploring. I paid $40/night for the chalet overlooking the volcano and it was fabulous(half an hours negotiating got the price down from $150/night). I think the odds of seeing an active volcano are a little over 30,000 : 1.

Cheers,

Eric