Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Canada does not like Pizza Thieves

seb1008

I thought I would post this for people heading to Canada. I left Florida the end of May on a trip to the Brooks Range in Northern Alaska to go back into the woods by river to metal detect for gold. I had been getting everything together and saving my money for 2 years. I was trailering a small boat with a go devil motor on it to be able to go up shallow rivers. I got to the border crossing at Sweetwater, Montana. The Canadian border agent told me that there was no way I was going to be allowed to enter Canada and that He could arrest me right then if he wanted to. 35 years ago while hitchiking back to the states from Alaska with my dog I ran out of money and I shoplifted a frozen pizza worth $1.80. I was arrested and spent 6 days in jail, I lost my dog I had hitchiked with for 2 years because I didnt have $500.00 to pay her kennel fees. I was taken to the border and told I could not come back to Canada for 2 years. I have not had a reason to go to Canada since then and I didn't give it anymore thought since it was such a minor offence and 35 years had passed. So much for my trip. If I want my record cleared it will cost a minimum of $500.00 to start the process and they say that they can charge me for all the money they spent on my arrest 35 years ago. So if you are planing on going to Canada and have a record here or in Canada you really need to check it out no matter how minor it is. Seb

a lousy way to have a great vacation ruined. What the heck did you do then? That is a long way from home:surrender:

After that length of time, for such a minor offense, some leniency should be expected

Welcome to the forum

Fair winds

Micheal

Hello Royal, When I staggered out of the customs office my first thought was I am getting a Bottle and a cigarette. Instead I drove over to Glacier National Park and had my Daughter fly up from Florida. We spent 10 days in Glacier and then did a road trip back home. She is in her last year of high school before she goes away to college.So this turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We met a really outstanding young man on the Blackfoot Indian Reservation who took us out to an ancient buffalo jump on the reservation he had found. We metal detected around the sight but it pre dated metal items. He gave me a buffalo skull that he had dug up there. I tell you I was really honored that he did that for me. I was told by someone wiser than me to always try and make something good out of something bad. This trip really affirmed that to me. Take care, Seb

Hello Micheal, I should have combined my post above, but I'm still new at how these things work. I think you are probably right. I met 2 people from Saskatchewan Canada and they told me there was a TV commercial on there where a little boy is telling a US Border Guard that his dad and himself are going to Disney World in Florida, and the border guard tells the little boy no he isn't because 30 years ago his dad was arrested for DUI. I personally fell both sides are playing a little game of tit for tat and we are caught in the Middle. Take care, Seb

is by far the most beautiful. I just loved it there.

were at a border crossing in up state N.Y. to Quebec. Driving over a large bridge, then driving into customs, that was similar to drive-thru bank, with multiple lanes. At the window, we were asked the usual questions, then asked to pull over, and come in. It was set up like a bus station or RMV. We were asked for our ID's, and told to have a seat with about 6 other men. I happened to be sitting within earshot, or the customs officers sitting in that window. I could hear, but not see whom they would be speaking too. I soon caught on, when ever a vehicle with one man or more drove up, they were asked to come in. If the vehicle had kids or a female in the vehicle, they were told "Welcome to Canada". We did eventually enter Canada, feeling like "will we ever get out?". Total BS! We did our business, and I can tell you, unfortunately, I doubt I will ever visit again. It is really too bad, i feel this way, when reminded of the experience. I always looked at Canada as an Allie and Friend to the United States. I had visited Canada a 1/2 dozen times before, in the sixties and seventies, and always felt welcome. Spent my Honeymoon at Expo 67! The wife is long gone, as is the Expo! :D.
On the other hand, meeting my Canadian Friends, such as Mikey,Wayne,OJ and Willy, I soon loose that ill feeling of Canada, and get an eager feeling to spend time up there! Royal, Sunny, Willy sure enjoyed their time spent in Canada! I am jealous! So I guess Canada isn't that bad at all............ Maybe I visited at the wrong time, so I'll blame it on the Customs Officers...and besides, is Quebec still considered part of Canada? :D
Just kidding..don't want to start a war... Someday, I wouldn't mind spending time at Mikeys, or going trekking in the woods with Wayne! I know I would be with friends, and in good company! :thumbup:

Hi Ron, I know what you mean. I did a 900 mile canoe trip down the Yukon from Whitehorse to Circle, Alaska in 1974. When I crossed the border going into Canada for that trip, again at Sweetwater MT. I was strip searched at the Canadian border but I accepted that as one of the consequences of having long hair at that time.

A buddy and I were going down to Seattle to see the king Tut exhibit ... in the 70s if memory serves. Get to the border going to the states and we were pulled over by the customs guard. The vehicle was stripped, as were we. Nothing was amiss, nothing illegal was found [as indeed we had none] After they finished we were just let go. Took another half hour to put the car back into shape.

I figured that the customs agent was having an off day.

I have been back many times since, and every time it has been excellent. Fast through times and very pleasant people. Some days you are the windshield, some days the bug!! :):

But my real aim is to make a run through the states visiting my friends and compatriots that i have met here. Now that is a trip I am looking forward to. :clap:

fair winds

Micheal

Everyones dream back east there but few get to do it. The run of 900 miles must of been awesome.
The only bad think I had heard of going into Canada was from a fellow RV camper while in Glacier. He had
a weapon with him and left it with a friend here state side. But he had shells from it in a drawer. Sadley for him
he did not declare them and he ended up about 5 miles into Canada being stopped again. They seemed to know they were there
and went right to them. They arrested him, comfiscated the RV and long story short, about 6 trips back and 10 grand later he got back the camper. He to, said he would never go there again........He has 6 loose shells and no gun but they still raked him over the coals rather than use common sense.

I've gone in a couple of times from NY and VT and Maine and never had a problem from either side..... Luck of the draw I guess.

Any pictures from the trip donw the river?

George-CT

Sorry George no pictures of the trip, it came together really quickly(young people,nothing to do) didn't even have a tent. Really great trip into a vast amount of wilderness. Sitting by a creek at night and it is the same one Jack London is writing about as you read his book, and the great stories by Robert Service. Never saw a bear while on the river, plenty of tracks though. There were three canoes and each morning we would lash the canoes and drift down the river in lazy circles looking at the sceanery. I have been longing to get back to the woods since that time, and this was finally my chance. I will be getting a little to old and poor after my daughter gets out of college to try the kind of trip I wanted to do, but who knows. If I do I will fly to Alaska, buy a truck and later resale it and have a Bush Pilot fly me out to where I want to go. Who knows always have to plan for the next adventure. Seb