Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can interference make sunray probe go nuts????

Recently my probe has been discriminating while in "mid-air". What I mean is that I can hold it up in the air without moving it and its fine but when i move it the slightest bit it discriminates and blanks out the threshold. I have cleaned the probe by taking the rubber cap off and have tightened all connections. When I go to probe the hole I must be almost a half of inch on top of the target to pick it up now. This makes it very difficult and almost useless to have the probe. Could it be interference of some sort messing up the probe? Any help would be appreciated.

I can't give you a good answer to your question, but you may want to post on the Sun Ray Electronics Forum. Check it out. I'm still learning my S-1 I just got last week. Good luck and HH. Matt

It sounds like the coils inside the probe iself are loose even the slightes rattle will cause it to false. Sounds like you should take it apart and hot glue it or send it in to the company.

The symptoms you are describing sounds like a frayed wire somewhere in the coil. You also should never tighten the connections. Basically you have wires going from the cord into the coil in a static position. When you tighten it, you start twisting those wires and increase the chance of fraying them. Once they fray they begin to false as you describe. Eventually it will become unusable. I've had my X-1 for 2+ years now, and have had to have the coil replaced twice for this very reason. I do not abuse it, drop it, or tighten the connections, but for some reason, perhaps the frequency of use, my wires have frayed. The only thing I have changed is the way I grab it from the holder. I think I used to pull on the end and sometimes on the strain relief itself. I have made a point to always grab from the middle when I go to use it, avoiding the strain relief totally. So far so good. If it's still under warranty you may be able to have it replaced/fixed for free, but tightening the connections is a no-no, I believe it even mentions that in the instructions you get when you purchase it. If it's out of warranty, you can still send it back to be repaired but you'll have to pay for the part that is replaced. Still cheaper than buying a completly new one.

Jai

Typically,

That is what Sunray probes do before they go completely bad on you. First, they start to false low or high repeatedly, becoming more and more unstable the more you use it. I've got two that have gone bad this same way. The wire going into the probe itself is the weak link, I believe. Even if you don't think you have been mistreating/pulling/yanking the probe cable, eventually it will go bad through repeated use/bending. Honestly, if I was designing that probe, I'd pay the extra cost to have a removable/replaceable probe wire installed. It would be an easy solution....sub-miniature, locking 4 or 5 pin connectors installed on back of probe box and end of probe. When the cable goes bad, replace cable; that's it. The way it is now, the whole probe has to be taken apart to get to the wiring inside so that a new cable can be installed. Current costs to have a cable replaced range from $60-$100 for out of warranty repairs :rage:

On my spare time, I'm going to do some research and development on one of my older probes to see if I can create a replaceable probe wire. Should be a fun project.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Dan hit it on the head with his reply. I had mine replace last month. Ralph said it was the cable entering the probe.... he said NEVER tighten that nut. Cost was right at $100.... because he has to replace the cable and coil, its a set. You do get the shorter probe, which is an upgrade. Hold your probe and that cable where it goes in tightly with one hand.... then move the cable, bet you wont here it false.

Dew

I have this problem too --I agree with others its The wire going into the probe it self is the weak link, I just yesterday took apart probe cap where cable goes inside probe. inside probe you have plenty of place to reconnect cable and put back probe cap with cable.. I can post pictures if you want. from Ralph I got sunray engineers email,but still no answer. probe cable is low quality ,but reconnecting you can do your self.no way its cost 100$! about wires frying is usually mystification of simple symptoms.switch or cable. good luck

I dont know where my post disappeared about this issue posted three hours before ?????but i will repeat !The wire going into the probe itself is the weak link. I totality agree I have this problem too,just few days before I open probe to resolder cable. i can send pictures! its plenty of space inside probe to resoldrer cable. i cant understand about 100 dollars price? and what does mean-probe frayed wires??? probe wires and switch its usualy falsssing problem. try to hold probe and band cable near probe or in others places and you will find the place where its bad.. its possible to change to other cable like low loss video cable, some people do with it extension cable for etrac or explorer for keeping it on belt.

stasys, I would be interested in hearing a more detailed explanation of how you diagnosed and fixed the problem. Pictures would be awesome.

switch your probe on lift your sensitivity up till 27-29 or max and keep probe steady in one hand wile with other hand move to switcth box by banding cable in diferent directions. by doing this inch by inch you will find the cable place where its make interfearing noises, but I think you can concentrate on place where cable connects probe or switch box. or keep probe with few inches cable together and move it to bend rest cable and you will see if its conection place... sorry for very simple test but its how I found where its started to make noises.. later will post photos. other expearenced people should have ideas too. good luck

My probe did that and it turned out to be a short in the wire where it enters the probe. If you wiggle the wire in that area and it makes the probe go off then that could be the problem.
I sliced the plastic shield back, fixed the short and it has been fine since.

very nice! again my post with pictures deleted!!!! not nice not nice,its look like someone not like to show how looks sunray probe inside???. if somebody want -can send pictures.