Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can any of you guess what this one is?

George-CT

It's in mint shape, put on the road in CT in 1932. It caught my attention because I found something there older than me. As you can see this thing is mint. It lives in a heated garage in winter and ac in summer. George-CT

n/t

The front strongly resembles the Deusenberg, which was made by the Auburn Motor Co. of Auburn, Indiana. Auburn also made the Auburn & the Cord. There were only about 700 Deusenbergs ever made, but they were so well known during their heyday that they gave rise to the expression "It's a doozy" for anything extraordinary.

as well cared for as this one. The fella that owns it said it had a value of $250,000, but that it was not for sale. This one is the
1932 Cord L-29 Cabriolet. It does have the original travel trunk still on it with travel gear still in it that the original owners put in it. I met to take pictures of the engine in it. It is original all the way. Never been rebuilt. Ran like a top. Pretty impressive car to see up close. Here is a link to a fella that restores them. If you click on them to enlarge you get a video and narration from the fella who restores them. Link to Cord Restore site.

For all the cars there Monday night, this one got the most attention after the full walk around.

George-CT

The Cord most folks will recognize is the 812 or Coffin-nose. Incidentally, the Cord was front-wheel drive & the engine was mounted backwards. It had a crank if the electric starter failed, & there was a reversing gear on the crank so the engine would start properly. The engines in all Auburn-built cars were from Lycoming, which also built aircraft engines.

The Coffin-nose Cord had a vacuum-operated gearbox which had a bad tendency to go out on the driver. That's what got Tom Mix killed. He was in Prescott, I think, in 1940, doing a personal appearance. He had another the next day at some distance. His '37 Cord Belvedere coupe's vacuum gearbox did its thing & they had to bring in a Cord mechanic from Phoenix to adjust it. He took off about 6 or 8 hours late so he could make his appearance the next day. He went to sleep at the wheel, the car went off the road, down a wash, & struck the other side of the wash. They figure it was going about 15 mph at the time. An aluminum suitcase which Mix put on the package shelf behind him flew forward & struck him at the base of his neck, breaking his neck & killing him instantly. The only damage to the car was to the front fenders, which were bent in against the wheels. The fenders were pulled out & the car was driven back to Hollywood. The Arizona road workers who found the car the next morning said Mix just looked asleep. His white western suit wasn't even wrinkled. The place where he died is now named Tom Mix Wash. A 'wash,' in Arizona, is what we call an 'arroyo' in Texas--a seasonal, mostly dry, creek.

of Tom Mix growing. Him, another one was Bobby Benson and the B Bar B riders, Lone Ranger and Tonto, the Singing cowboy, Gene Autry. Run home from school, turn on the radio and here them. Funny, I wanted to be a sound effects guy for the radio stations at the age. NO TV at that time..... Heck, we thought tin cans on the end of a 100 foot string were pretty high tech then. Toss in a crystal radio, and old row boat, and we had the makings of a great childhood. My dads car back then was and old LaSalle....think it had a V 10 in it.....and a rumble seat.... To bad he didn't save it.....
George-CT

Don't forget Sergeant Preston of the Yukon & his lead dog, King--& Straight Arrow. Even Hoppy had a radio show for a while. GM never made a V-10. Chevy had a flathead 6, Olds had an OHV 6, Pontiac had a flat-head straight 8, Buick had an OHV straight 8, La Salle had either an OHV V-8 or V-12, & Caddy had OHV V-8s, V12s, & V-16s. GlM dropped the V-12 entirely with the '35 model & the V-16 with the '38 model. Packard & Lincoln still had V-12s as late as the '42 model, but postwar the only one to make a V-12 was Lincoln & it dropped the V-12 after the '48 model, when it also dropped the Connie. which it revived in '54. In '49 GM pulled the Olds out of between Chevy & Pontiac, gave it a V-8, & put iit in the La Salle's old place, between Buick & Caddy. The OHV 6 went to the Chevy Bel-Aire & later to the very 1st Corvettes in '53. My folks used to be members of the Horseless Carriage Club of America, so I learned a lot of this back then. We had a 1924 Model T touring--which is the car I learned to drive. In 1954.

and seemed to get attention under the hood. I was 7 years old. Now I see them at car shows from time to time and it brings back some nice memories of my youth.

The LaSalle was what the Olds became in the '50s & '60s--the car for the 'upwardly mobile' who couldn't quite afford a Caddy yet. I had a cousin who drove Oldsmobiles all the time. He was a doctor, but he drove like a madman. He always had the 98 model w/the biggest engine Olds put in. In those days there was minimum speed enforcement & 25