Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

cambodia-3

A

Anonymous

One of the hardest things you can do is to 'hold the line', because if someone slipped thru it can definitely ruin your day. I left my pee-shooter with my rucksack, and had opted to use my Colt instead. Which turned out alright because we engaged them at 15 feet.
We were screaming like madmen and we probably scared them more than anything; but like I said they had no clue we were behind them. This was the first time we had ever been ordered to 'fixe bayonet'. Now, none of us had ever used a bayonet for anything because they are impossible to sharpen. Everyone carried a knife, & I had a 10" Bowie, a Sykes/Fairbairn strapped to my left leg, and a Special Forces Tomahawk. That Tomahawk has to be the most brutually efficent weapon ever made, and there's no door or wall I couldn't chop thru, and as for the human body...... boy I don't know exactly what I hit, but I shot at everything that moved. The bayonets do work, but we found out the best way to withdraw one, was to fire your weapon as you yank back. And running thru triple canopy bush makes it tough to see everything. About half of them ran like scalded dogs, but the rest tryed to make a fight of it. But we were literally 5 or 6 feet away by the time they STARTED to turn around, and it was pretty much over before it started. I don't remember much, because I was literally BERSERK, and I was more of a threat to us afterwards because there was no friend or foe, just RED. Someone grabbed me from behind and put a bear hug on me untill I came out of it. Somehow we felt cheated, because it was over too quick; wasn't supposed to be this easy. This was the first time they tried to engage us in 'stand & fight' conventional tactics [since the IA DRANG VALLEY]. Before they always sniped at us and disappeared.
Rock sent 10 back to get our gear, and we made contact with the unit we were trying to reach, by squad radio. We gathered up every available weapon, ammo, water, and food [cold rice] that charlie had scattered around; he was definitely not VICTOR CHARLES this time. We popped red 'smokes', and got 8th Cav to verify the color and made our way to their lines. They were really glad to see us at first, until they realized , "this is all there is?!" Did I mention it was hot, and boy were we thirsty, but do you know how unfullfilling room temp. water is you've
gotten from a stream , especially after we've dropped 2 iodine tablets in it. I swear, a long COLD drink of water was better than SEX[you had to be there to understand]. And we were soaked head to foot, and you could see 'rings' on our clothing from the salt caused by the salt tablets we literally ATE. We are winding down a little, but my heart feels like it's going to come out of my chest,
and they are figuring out where they want to place us. The captain wants to split us up to fill up the holes up and down the line, but Rock & 'the kid' are having nothing to do with this idea. I must admit the LT came through for us here, because we didn't know the other people, or their quality. The captain tried to pull rank, but the LT had OPERATIONAL command of us, and even threatened to march our butts out of there. We stayed intact as a unit.
All this time there is literally the 'war of the worlds' going on except where we are, which is eeriely silent, and then we hear this strange noise caused by a propeller plane. It's a couple of MARINE A-1 SKYRAIDERS [god bless the CORPS-SEMPER FI FOREVER], planes that hit the air, days after WW-2 ended. They were big and slow, but they could carry an un-godly amount of ordnance, and could stay on site for HOURS. I think this was probably the biggest single engine fighter ever made, and I think had an 18 cylinder air cooled engine, meaning it could lose cylinders from being hit and keep flying, because there is no water to leak out.
But we also hear some noise from TRACKS, and it turns out to be the big ZSU- 23, which had 4, 23mm A.A. cannons, and was radar directed. These things are murder on aircraft. what the hell else could happen?

If I remember right they weighed 14000 lbs and could carry their weight in arms. Awsome but a bear to work on, compaired to a jet.
I think you have our attention here. We have another guy that posts that was in the Special Forces. Art.
Very interesting series of post! Thanks

I think by now you know I have an inordinate fondness for airplanes. My dad had his pilot's license at 14, and flew both F-80s, & F-86s, and along with Ollie , I could recite USAF things by heart. Seems like all of my kin, generation wise joined the Air Force. I wanted to fly Huey's or Cobra's for the Army, but when I got to the AFEES at Dallas, they said I needed 20/20 vision.[anyone remember the Adolphus Hotel where we stayed?]
That was cool I said , make me a crew chief, only to hear, " we have more than we need, come back in 6 months, OR try some other field, because it's easy to transfer into aviation from another field." RIGHT!"
But I was not getting back on a bus to go home. HOOK, LINE and SINKER, I was going in.
Then I talked to this SFC, who told me about a special unit he was putting together, a scout platoon
and man it sounded good. Then I got off the bus at TIGERLAND, Ft. Polk, La., & I never heard so much screaming in my life, and I remember thinking, "How in the hell do I get out of here?" And I still remember the names of my 3 D.I.s, Davis, Carmona, and Snyder..............

to me. Are you posting this all from memory, or did you keep a journal when you were serving our country? How long were you in for? Our son called from VMI last night, and told us he had a good chance of gettting into some kind of helicopter school this summer (with the Virginia National Guard). He actually wanted to go to flight training, and the told him this was a full class, but he could start with the helicopter thing, and if he finished that, then his chances of going to flight training on planes was greater. While I am proud of him, my husband and myself are getting kind of uneasy and scared. I mean, he's our son...you know? He only has two years left at VMI, and I keep praying that he gets out of this "fighting and blowing up thing" by the time he graduates. It just makes me hyperventilate thinking he will go off to war somewhere. But I guess all parents feel this way when their son does this! I just hope he can be as smart as you and the others if he ever finds himself fighting the enemy!

Like you say, ya had to be there. I got bounced cause of the pound of steel I carry in my leg. My son is planning to try and get in to W1 school and learn to fly Blackhawks. Wants to be a dustoff pilot. Six more days till he is to start his rollout! I havn't forgotten about my uncles info, just havn't hooked up with my aunt.
Dave

Tell him to be careful. It actually takes more skills to fly a chopper. The nickname for the Blackhawk is "DEATH-HAWK," because of the mechanical problems.