Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:cam:Omega finds Japanese WWII relic. What is this anyway?:smoke:

imi_wakaranai

I was out detecting yesterday evening on a USMC military base with the Omega. I decided to detect in an open field where companies of Marines meet in the early hours for calisthenics before hitting the pavement for a long formation run. This field has been used in this capacity for about a 1/2 century. I was using the 5" coil, sens 85, disc 50, 4 tones. I am unsure of the ground #s because they constantly changed. Anyway I was pulling lots of dimes and quarters in the 2~3 in range. Is it just me, or does the Omega love dimes? Anyway I got a nice signal consistent in multiple directions, and the VDI was a consistent 76 showing the target 3" down. After digging and seeing target "I was like great, another old, big, rusty bottlecap." I pulled it out and noticed the engravings & letters. And then I was like, "Oh my, this is cool." I was thinking that it was a Japanese soldier's button, I couldn't see the back of it because it was covered in dirt.

I took it home and cleaned it up in water. If anyone can tell me specifically what this is, I'd be very happy. The characters say, "Sonaeyo Tsuneni." This means, "Be ready, always." Considering what the letters imply, I am assuming that this must be from the war. An estimated 100,000 Japanese soldiers died here on Okinawa. Thanks for looking & helping me to identify my first cool relic that the Omega and I found.

HH,

Jason in Okinawa

I think it is some kind of Boy Scout emblem. Probably a scarf holder. It is the scout motto and it is international.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Association_of_Japan

You can probably get a positive ID from someone here or from any local scouting troop. http://www.scout.or.jp/

Julien

Ditto on the scout kerchief slide. Jason, maybe I missed some posts, but are you finding silver? I am with you on the dimes, the Omega does seem to love them. HH jim tn

jbow, thanks for the ID. I do feel like a fool now.:confused: My Japanese wife even thought it was some kind of war relic.

Jim, I have not hit the silver yet ( I said yet). With work and 90 degree tempertaures, it has been hard to hunt more than a few hours every week. Lucky for me that I live on a tropical island. The weather should start feeling nice in Oct, low 80s. And throughout winter it does not get colder than 50 degrees:detecting:

It may be a war relic. Some young Japanese soldier may have brought it with him to war.

J

jbow, Thanks for elevating my esteem.