Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CALLING ALL SOVEREIGN XS EXPERTS!!!

sacul

Hello, all of you Sovereign expets! I have a Sovereign XS with an 8" Coin Search Coil and the 10" standard coil. I think I am ready for a larger coil. Which coil should I buy for coin hunting in soil. I am in PA and mostly hunt around old buildings - most of the trash is iron. Much appreciated! Regards, Dave

If you are hunting where there is a lot of iron you should not use a bigger coil, the 8 inch coinsearch does a good job plus good depth. A bigger coil is better where there is less iron and where you want to cover more ground. Getting to know your XS well is the key to depth and seperation and going slow and paying attention to the sounds it makes.
Now if you want a bigger coil than I highly recomend the Sun Ray S-12 as it does well for a bigger coil and not as heavy as most.

Buddy,
I think spending money to upgrade coils when relic or coin hunting is a waste of time. I have detected for over twenty years and the best advice I can give you is too slow down. Take an area grid it out in your mind and creep along crisscrossing your swing and dig those iffy signals. I dig all iffy signals in an area that does not require pretty sod plugs and increase my find significantly. Now if we are talking beach hunting I would say a larger coil would be effective. I would spend the money on a good camel back and stay hydrated so you can detect longer. GOOD LUCK!!!

Dave,both Rick and S#48 give good advice.I have changed back and fourth with coils and would have to conclude for land hunting the Tornado 10 inch coil is hard to beat for depth.If you have the older heavier BBS 1000 auction it off and get the Tornado 10 inch.The 8 inch Coinsearch coil has great performance,but my favorite small coil is the Tornado 800 a 7 inch coil.The Sovereign XS is my favorite stable simple and locks on to deep targets.Like everyone here I,m always looking for the magic bullet,which is,research to find a site, hard work in the field,and luck.By the way there is a spacer on the wing nut side make sure the spacer is used to prevent cracking the coil ears.